Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi - Help if possible please. I had my Aga chap come in January

Customer Question

Hi - Help if possible please. I had my Aga chap come in January and fit a new electric control box to my 4 oven oil fired Aga. It needed a new one really. The light grey Toby box arrived from Sweden and proved faulty. The chap sent for another one but had some difficulty fitting it - turned out he had never fitted one before. He also serviced the Aga at the same time. This all cost a lot of money which I had not really expected - as he kept saying he didnt know how much it would be. Box is a ZR electric top - Code 39904025
All OK. However twice in the last week the Aga has gone out. I was left NO instructions has to how to use this box to relight the Aga -except to turn the knob on the top anticlockwise - which it was anyway. There is also a little lever on the top which I flicked back and forward and seems to help ol flow through.
I got it going OK about 6 days ago and although it was running a bit hot - it was OK. I turned the temp. dial down a little bit. However it was out again this morning. I have managed to relight it - flicking lever and relighting the burner - but I have been unable to contact my local chap again. I really can;t afford it to keep doing this and worry as my dog sleeps near it in the kitchen - there don't appear to be any oil fumes at the moment. There is no other local Aga serviceman in this area.

Please can you give me any advice or help
XXXXX XXXXX (Mrs)
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
Can you tell me the model # XXXXX the new control?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The new box came from Sweden I think - is light grey and is ZR Toby - electric top Code(NNN) NNN-NNNN12v

TZR 1012VL00 Fab. Nr M13.

There is a knob/dial on the top which I was told had to be fully anti-clockwise for ON - which it is and always has been.

The only other control on the top appears to be a flat lever on the top which you can flip from side to side and which I think the Aga chap flicked a lot to get oil going through faster.

I did that this morning.

T be honest he didn;t seem to know what he was doing. He serviced the Aga at the same time - new wick etc cleaned the burner.

It is going now but I really need to know more about this. It seems to have heated up quicker than normal. I don;t want any fire risks ?

This has been a good Age and never been any real bother - serviced twice yearly - but is now a worry.

Thanks for any help.

Pat- a rather worried pensioner !

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pat for the excellent details!
I will check into this for you and see if i can locate a manual for you that explains this fully.
It may take me until Monday if thats ok?
I will stick with you until you have all the information you need but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Pat!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Michael -

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as you can as it is a bit of a worry. Local chap is overstretched and not great. Hope I can learn how to work this electric box myself as I can;t have the Aga going on and off so much - never used to.

Best wishes

Pat

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pat, thank you for the kind rating.
I understand your worry, its really unnerving when the tech doesn't know his stuff.
I will be in touch as soon as I have that for you.
Have a great weekend Pat.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

Did you locate a manual for the electric control box please.

Pat

(You said-I will check into this for you and see if i can locate a manual for you that explains this fully.)

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pat, sorry for the delay, they updated the site there and still haven't gotten that up yet:-(
frustrating UG!
But they said they would have that for me by Friday morning, so we will see.
Thank you for your patience!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael - STILL waiting for answer - and advice - Aga is going OK now but I would like proper maual instructions for it if it goes out again.

Pat

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there - Still no manual or instructions as to what to do if it goes out again ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Pat Morris

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pat sorry for the delay, we had a bad storm and no power here.
What exactly do you need to know and how old is your system?
I cant see that information at the moment.
Thank you so much for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael - The Aga is a 4 oven oil fired Aga and was put in new in the 1970s. It has been regularly servied twice a year.

However the black control box was not in good shape and on my engineers advice I ordered a new control box - ZR electrical top grey ZR Toby - from Sweden. The engineer was unable to fit the first box - it was faulty - He fitted the new box when it came with some difficulty but it had NO instructions and all he told me was that to be ON the control knob on top of the box had to be fully anti-clockwise. When it went out - I found it was fully anticlockwise.

The only other control on the top of the box appears to a little lever that it is possible to flick from side to side - I presume this primes the Aga by letting more oil through before I try to relight it.

BUT I don;t know. I would really like proper inctructions as to exactly what to do if the Aga does GO OUT. I know how to relight the wick etc - but don't know anything about the control box really and my engineer is away on a course - he has no assistants and works for himself.

I look forward to any more advice you can give me

Pat

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pat, it sounds like the control box has failed again. I hate when I have to tell someone this kind of news.
I f you replace that it will be fine you just got a bad one.
Its so easy to replace I will let you know the best place to get a good one at a good price.
I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)

Thank you Pat.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi MichaeNO the control box is working fine - I got it to relight - but I dont know the correct way to do this. I made sure the knob was fully anti-clockwise and then I flicked the little lever from side to side and that seemed to allow oil to flow in and it lit well. and quickly and has so far stayed alight.

I just want to know if there is anything else I should do IF it goes out again.

There is NO way i can afford yet another box (and I do think this one is probably OK) . - it was £500.00 to fit the last one which I thought was exorbitant - but I have no choice locally.

Thanks for your help

Pat Morris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael - I have had a request for another £22. 00 - but I am not happy with this as my question was never properly answered.and I have NOT asked another one.

You did your best and I have given you a good rating - but you never fully answered my question.

Sorry

Pat Morris

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi pat I will talk with them about this, thank you for the rating, and I will ask them why they did that, its not normal.
Also I am here to help you as much as I can there is no additional cost to you. have a great evening Pat.
Tech Michael