Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Why has my ice maker stopped producing ice? my lowest refrigerator

Customer Question

Why has my ice maker stopped producing ice? my lowest refrigerator drawer freezes everything that is stored in it! Fridge is stainless steel side by side and 7 years old
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
May I have the full model #?
Also did the ice maker stop at the same time the draw started to freeze, not likely but I need to be sure.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry I had to break off and go away yesterday. Just back now. I will go and try to collate all the info you ask for

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Michael

Model Number GC2225GEKB

Serial Number 10766145GE

Date purchased 21 September 2005

Side by side refrigerator

Because the ice hopper was always topped up I did not notice the ice maker was not producing until it began to struggle to dispense ice and the shapes were unfamiliar.

It may be that it is totally unrelated to the drawer freezing everything in it

but unfortuneately I cannot remember when the drawer went funny probably around christmas.

the ice problem may have been around for longer because we tend not to use much as it gets colder in the year.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dorothy,
Yes the two problems are actually unrelated but I will help you with both.
The first one concerns the draw icing issue.
This happens when the unit needs a good defrosting, the reason is ice will form behind the rear wall, when it does it freezes the drain tube and then the water leaks into the fridge section causing this problem
Your Ice make it seems may be also caused by the same exact issue.
Especially since you mentioned the odd shapes lol;-)
What you need to do to correct both of these problems is, defrost the unit completely for 2 hours with the doors open when you have the time.
then dry up any standing water in the bottom of the fridge and freezer. That will solve this all;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Michael

Thank you very much for all that. It seems logical that it is the answer!!

It's just that you forget about defrosting when you have aa frost free unit!

But I did wonder myself if the pipe to the ice maker might have an ica blockage.

I think that I will now go and empty the freezer now into a cool box and start the process off.

Thank you again.

I am very happy with your service so far. it has been my fault that I had to go away for Saturday night and I realise that you have much work to do.

If I 'rate to finish' does that cut us off altogether?

dorothy

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

H Dorothy, i think yes the ice is blocking everything lol.
But, if you rate now, I will lock us in, so in case you still have problems, you can keep up the dialog with me at no additional cost. SO no you wont lose me that way!
Have a great day! Please rate kindly!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, Michael

I defrosted the unit last night and left it for 3 hours but the ice maker still is not working

It was funny that there did not seem to be any standing water when it was defrosted!

The fridge is humming away nicely and the freezer cabinet is at -25C according to my thermometer. The drawer feels as if it is at a more normal temperature.

all the best

dorothy

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
hanks Dorothy.
Im sure that has solved the leak in the fridge.
But the ice make likely burnt out due to it not getting water when it called for it.
Its pretty easy to replace and if you need a source for a new one please let me know.
I will help you with the replacement as well:-)
Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Michael

I think that you may have got it again! However I wouldn't be competent at fixing/fitting anything in the fridge! For years I paid an insurance and then only stopped it last year when I realised the fridge was too old for it to make sense. I think perhaps we will have to live without the ice and eventually replace the firdge.

Thank you very much for your attention and for the help.

all the best

dorothy

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dorothy, you can have someone replace the ice maker for you, as for the frost free thing, it could also be a bad component there as well causing the icing. But not likely.
Have a great day!
Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi< Michael

I have filled the hopper with ice from iceland and it all dispenses and crushes so I think that this will be my best solution.

Thank you very much for all your help

have a nice day

dorothy

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hey that works too !!
Have a great day!
Tech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
d