Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a hotpoint frost free fridge freezer, which for some

I have a hotpoint frost free fridge freezer, which for some time has been making a kind of ketteling sound, therefore I removed the rear internal rear panel,to find the evaporator was totally covered in ice, I defrosted it over a 48 hour period, and removed all of the ice, and cleaned out all of the drainage pipes, and rear water tray,
When I plugged in the power, the same noise re-occured, although the fridge and freezer began to get colder, but after a few hours I felt the condenser and found it to be really hot, also I could feel heat emanating fron the side right hand side panel of the freezer, about mid dle of the door,could you please advise me, thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If you remove the panel inside the freezer again and look at the evaporator is there a layer or frost on there?

Also can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I removed the back panel and yes there is a layer of frost on the evaporator, the freezer is now freezing, but the heat on the side panel is still there, the model no on the fridge door is "FFA70", ans on the plate inside the freezer it' reads "R600A", hope this helps.

Regards Mick.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok the heat on the side is normal as its the gas being pumped around the system so when its running you will find that certain parts on the side will get warm. The longer it runs the warmer it get so that's problery why your feeling the heat now as its starting up from being fully defrosted so it run longer. That's the same as the condenser on the back. Again the longer its running the warmer it gets but as you start to feel towards the bottom of the condenser on the back its not as warm as the top.

So is the fridge and freezer at normal temperature now?

As to the noise you say is it coming from the compressor at the back or if you open the doors does the noise stop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

the fridge and freezer both seem to be at normal temperatures, but the condenser is extremely hot both top and bottom, also the associated black pipework at the back, is hot to the touch at the top, and both sides of the cabinet, are hot to the touch but only at the front adjacent to the freezer door. hope this helps.

Mick

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok how long has it been running for since it was turned on after you defrosted it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daniel, sorry mate I may have confused you when I said, that the fridge and freezer are at working temperatures, although they are both cold, the indicator lights I assume on the Stat's, read, "Fridge, food defrost alert, and the "Freezer", freezer high temperature, both stats are set at No4, but to answer your question, I powered the unti up at 1.30 pm, roughly 5 hours ago.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Arrh im with you now.

If its been running for 5 hours and the warning light is still on and the condenser and compressor is very hot then that's not normal. As it should only take about 3-4 hours to get down to the correct temp then the compressor will knock off and allow it to all cool down on the pipe work.

From what you say this sounds like a system fault. Either short of gas or more likely a poor pumping compressor.

As what happens on these is the compressor goes weak so it cannot pump the ags around the system correctly so it can make a strange noise and then it doesn't get to the correct temperature.

For this im afraid it isn't a diy fix as you need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back so see what pressure the compressor is pumping at and the amount of gas in there.

But this isn't going to be a cheap fix as if its a faulty compressor you are looking at about the £200 mark but if short of gas then that's about £140 as long as they are able to find the leak as they can leak internally which if this is the case it cannot be fixed as you cannot access the internal pipe work.

Sorry this isn't good news but this has a system fault im afraid.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi daniel, thanks for your advice, by the look of it it would be more viable to buy a new fridge freezer,, but that's life, thanks yet again for your rapid response,

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mick.

To be honest for faults like this its not worth fixing and best to get a new appliance.