Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My Indesit machine stops part way through its cycle and the

My Indesit machine stops part way through its cycle and the 'door'sign flashes. I have to switch off to get the door open again and get wet washing out. it just keeps saying this and now wont really do any of the cycle. It was making lots of strange noises yesterdayas well....help!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If you set it to spin only, does the door lock?
Does the drain pump run?
Does the drum turn?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It locks but makes a lot of funny noises as if its trying to pump! Then gives up. The drum isnt turning this time.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

This is normally a motor fault.

Unplug the appliance.
Take the rear panel off.

Check the wiring to the motor.
Give the wires a good tug as they can break internally.

If ok, check the motor to see if it has carbon brushes fitted, if it does, take it out and check the carbon brushes. See if they've worn out.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wires all look attached.

Im not sure about taking the motor out! How do I know if it has carbon brushes or not? Very much a novice here....

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, you need to have good diy skills if you're going to try and repair the machine yourself.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-C9Z1BJ814

Its not your machine but the process is similar.

The carbon brush will be in a holder screwed to the motor.

However, if you are not sure about taking the motor out, you won't be able to do the work, in which case, you'll need to get someone in to sort it out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have removed the carbon brushes and had a look! They still seem ok to me! What next?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If the carbon brushes are long and in good contact with the motor armature and the wiring is all good, it suggests a faulty motor and/or main control board.

If this is the case, I'd suggest getting Indesit out on their fixed price repair plans.
You have to call them to get the latest plans and prices.
I believe they start around £120.
All include parts and labour and will be less than repairing it yourself.

Sorry, not good news or a simple fix.

If your machine is a good few years old, I'd suggest using the potential repair cost against the cost of a new machine.
With a repair, you still have the older parts in with the newer ones.

Hope this helps