Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi. I have a Zanussi ZWF16070W1 which has stopped working.

Hi. I have a Zanussi ZWF16070W1 which has stopped working. Pressing the start button results in the wash light switching on (and the door light is dimly lit). Then there is a click and the door button goes brighter. There is then a < 1 second buzz/motor noise, before the end button lights. The whole sequence is 4 - 5 seconds. I've checked latches, filter and water supply. This happens on all cycles I've tried and also when the load is removed. The machine is used daily.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Does your machine have a time display or only lights?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only green or red lights.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, switch on, any program.
Close the door.

Press and hold together the start button and the button to the left of it.

While holding you should get the error code flashing.
Count the green flashes, let me know how many.
Count the red flashes, let me know how many.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The start button flashed red 5 times, then went back to flashing green.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, it should have flashed 2 numbers to you.

Try again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no display to show numbers. The button to the left of the start/pause button is the auto half load button (just to be clear) and I've pressed both at exactly the same time.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
I know there's no display.
I explained how to get the 2 numbers

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oops - sorry. When I hold both buttons it's already flashing green and continues for another 2 flashes. That stops and the red flashes 5 times. Then it flashes green 4 times, then a wee break, before continuing to flash green. Checked a couple of times ;-)

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, it should be a repeating code so it looks like error code E54.

Unfortunately, it refers to the main board being faulty and a possible earth leakage fault on the motor.
The motor would need to be tested for this and then if found faulty, both items replaced.
If the motor tests ok, then the main board needs to be replaced.

I'm afraid it's an expensive repair to replace one or both items.

If your machine isn't under warranty, the most economical repair is a fixed price repair from British Gas or Knowhow (Currys).
They'll repair the machine (if they cover your area) for around £125 inclusive of parts and labour.

Sorry it's bad news and not a simple fix.

You may want to try going into diagnostics and out again to try and clear it.
It's a long shot though and most likely won't help.

To do this, turn the dial to off.
Press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it together.
While holding turn the dial 1 click clockwise.
The lights flash, release the buttons and the lights scroll.

Now turn the dial clockwise to off.
Turn to any program and then back to off.

Try the machine again.

If still the same, you need an expensive repair.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK