Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Siemans FD8705(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer Question

Siemens FD8705(NNN) NNN-NNNNImmediately on switching on and selecting a program the pump starts to operate before the door is closed. Mains water is available and tap is on. Supply pipe feels as though under pressure. Only thing that happens when the door is closed is the tablet is released. Have tried unplugging mains supply for >10 seconds possibly to reset control board. When fault was first noticed the bottom spray arm was jammed by handle through the basket. To me it points to a control panel fault.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Can you try this please.
Pour a bowl of water into the machine.
Close the door, then switch it on

Wait a minute, open the door, what happened to the water?

Rob

PS are you able to pull the machine out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rob for your input.

Already knew pump was working ok by the dry sound, nevertheless followed your suggestion and the water immediately disappeared on switching on with door still open.

The dishwasher is built in and it may cause damage to the kitchen units if we try to pull it out.

The machine should not start when switched on until the door is closed.

It still looks to me that the water inlet valve is not opening as part of the control panel function.

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank

Please just let me know you are there now and Ill type up my response

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i'm here

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank

I needed you to do the water test to determine which pump was running here, the circulation or discharge pump. The test proves its the discharge pump. This is good news!

The machine has water in the base, where the pumps are.

This sets the flood guard and the discharge pump will run continuously in an effort to protect the electrics in the base. Even with the door open !
Turn off the electric.
Remove the lower kick panel.

Look in there and you will see water.

Dry this up carefully

The machine should now be reset.
If this re occurs you have a leak and will need to find it and rectify it .

If you need more help, please just ask.

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rob - removed the kickboard from the kitchen unit and there doesn't seem to be any removable panel or drain outlet available on the machine base. Instead went into the bottom of the machine and removed the parts covering the pump and soaked up all the water that was available there. The pump plates where then completely uncovered and running dry. Before and after re-assembly the same faults were still there.

It seems obvious that the small amount of water residue is normal to prevent the pump running dry.

It still points to a fault in the control circuit.

I don't think it's worth me trying to get into the control panel wherever that is as I won't have the parts available to replace, especially as I am 99.9% certain that's where the fault lies.

Thanks for your continued help

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Frank

Im not sure I understand

If this DW was designed to be fully integrated, there would be a removeable panel under the door, to gve access to the pumps. Otherwise you would have to pull it out if something went wrong.

Sometimes kitchen fitters build in a machine, not truly designed for that purpose.

The symptoms you describe, are exactly correct for water in the base.
This is UNDER the wash tub, only accessible by removing the kick panel.

I think you are saying you dried out the sump, which is not where you need to dry out

Rob

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again, Rob - your information about the kick plate underneath the door was correct and as far as can be seen is secured by one central screw which locks in a clockwise and anti clockwise position after about 12 full turns. At either extreme the kick plate is still firmly held in position and I found then that pulling on that kick plate the whole machine starts to slide out.

I presume that the drain plug should be located behind the kick plate and thus as I can't remove it I've come to the conclusion that "should I call in my local service engineer?"

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank

There is no drain plug, im not sure where you got the idea there was.

Are you now able to get the whole machine to slide out?
If so, there is an easier remedy

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rob, thanks once more.

Rather than pull the machine out when I would have to uncouple the drain hose anyway. Is it your idea to drop the drain hose down completely to drain the residue of water. I can get to the connection of the drain hose by the next cupboard (under sink) and I have space if necessary to pull the drain hose forward.

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Frank

NO

The water has leaked into the base.
The base is solid, so will collect water like a pan
Its gone where it shouldnt be, thats why the pump is on constantly.
You have to get the water out from THERE, its not in a hose or in a pump.

If you pull the whole machine out (which is way easier with a free standing machine,
all you need to do is lean the machine back so the water will flow out of the base. Just put a towel down behind it to soak up the water.

Hope that makes sense

Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob - brilliant!

Now that I carefully read your replies I find you were absolutely right, but I had the complications of access in the machine, I still have the problem of access as I would have to dismantle a substantial amount of he built in kitchen furniture and fittings.

The problem has been temporarily solved by managing to tilt the machine backwards just a fraction and is now working as it should do.

There is no sign of water leaving the pan so obviously a permanent solution will have to be found.

Thank you for your patience.

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank

well done

Glad we got there in the end

All the best

Rob