Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Can you explain the procedure in replacing the lower

Can you explain the procedure in replacing the lower hinge to an AEG integrated fridge door? I have just received the replacement from AEG, part no: XXXXXXXXXX Many thanks Russell XXXXX

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
It's pretty straightforward.

Take the décor door off.
Take the screws holding the hinge to the door out.
Take the door off.
Take the bottom hinge off.
Fit the new bottom hinge.
Fit the door.
Fit the décor door.

Once the décor door is off, you'll see more clearly what's to be done.
Taking the door off makes it easier to change the bottom hinge.

Good luck with it.
Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The job is not as straightforward as you indicated! I have unscrewed the lower brackets from the (wooden) door but the upper bracket screws are hidden by the plastic door. Therefore the wooden door is held to the plastic door by some other means.

There are two nuts on top of the inner plastic door which may need to be detached before the outer wooden door can be removed - is this likely?

Otherwise I am not sure how to proceed.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, but it is straightforward.
You just haven't managed to remove the décor door so you can't proceed.

I can't see what method your kitchen fitter has used but I'll take a guess at a plastic cover over the top mounts.
If this isn't correct, simply post a photograph of what you have and I'll try and work it out from that.

Not sure what plastic door you are referring to, the machine door is normally metal.
Perhaps it's the plastic cover over the top mounts you are referring to.

Take the nuts off and take the cover off.
See what you find

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agree it should be straightforward but it is not!

I now realise that the decor (wooden) door is hanging on to the inner (plastic) door and secured with the nuts. However, removing the nuts has exposed the next problem which is that the decor door cannot be lifted free of the threaded parts because of the lintel(?) surrounding the fridge unit. This is secured to the fridge frame by "hidden" screws which are almost impossible to undo as they are only 4 inches from the ceiling.

There has to be an easier way. I had the upper hinge replaced by "Respond Services" some 6 months ago and they did not remove the decor door to do this. They charged an arm and a leg which is why I have come to you guys!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If they didn't take the décor door off, they didn't change the hinge.
2 of the screws are behind the décor door.
Pull the bottom of the décor door out and look up, you'll see the hinge and the 2 screws.

I've just double checked by looking at 1 of the machines bearing the model number. It's not a fridge, it's a fridge freezer but, the décor door still covers the screws for the hinge. Check as I said above and you'll see.

If you have to, you'll need to take the screws holding the machine in place out to pull it forward a bit.

Once again, I can't see how your machine has been installed.
Post photographs and I might be able to help from that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I will have to abandon the job until I can get back to it later on Sunday.

Can I use my iPad to send photos? I noted that the toolbar on this panel was absent on the iPad so am not sure how to get the iPad photos attached to the message.

Am disappointed that have reached an impasse but will try again on Sunday.

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
upload the pictures to a file sharing site and post the link here.
I'll be able to see them then.

Did you check to see if the hinges had screws on the front?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to say that I have now given up on this job. I am unable to send photos and I cannot move the unit from its cabinet.

I will obtain professional help and finish the job later.

Nevertheless, I thank you for your input. I will chalk up the £22 fee to experience.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Your deposit is still in your account.
I don't get paid unless you rate the answer and help positively

It's a shame you are unable to do the work as it's a relatively straight forward job, once you take the décor door off.

Good luck with the repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no desire to under-rate your services with a negative response but I do not wish to continue with the subscription so please cancel.

Does your payment have to be all or nothing? Can you take £10 for your time?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You need to contact customer services with this.
I have no access to the account.

They'll be able to help with this.