Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Help, discovered this morning my fridge/freezer isnt working

Customer Question

Help, discovered this morning my fridge/freezer isn't working properly, though the fridge light is till coming on. It is a Zanussi ZI 921/8 FFA, 6 years old. PMB
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
What exactly is the unit doing?Also is there any heavy frost build up on the rear wall inside the freezer?
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There's definitely motor sound coming from the fridge/freezer now, but this morning when I took milk etc out of the fridge, nothing felt cold. I have noticed a couple of times that ice has built up under the bottom drawer of the freezer compartment - does this indicate a blockage somewhere, making the motor work harder than usual? The temperature button has not been moved from it's setting of'1'.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Patsy,
is there any heavy frost build up on the rear wall inside the freezer?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, but ice has formed on the floor under the bottom freezer drawer, as previously. When I looked just now the fan on the rear wall was turning, but isn't now.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Patsy.
That is normal for the fan to run at certain times and not at others.
What you will need to do is to defrost the entire unit for 24 hours with he doors open,for us to be sure of something before we go further.
Please do that and then let me know when that is complete. I will stick with you until this is fixed but
since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Patsy.
Tech Michael

Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Morning Michael, fridge/freezer is now defrosted and completely dry, shall I turn it on again and close doors? Patsy
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Good morning yes, please do tht, but list very carefully to see if it sounds the same way it used to.
I would also remove the lower rear access cover behind the fridge so we have access to the compressor first.
The compressor is a large ball usually black.
I will need some info then on that as well.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's sounding exactly the same as when I first got in touch with you and fridge not responding while freezer is getting colder but not enough to freeze. I'm afraid I can't move the fridge, it's built in, not freestanding and I don't have anyone here who could help. I think I should start looking for a replacement?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Patsy, this is fixable.
But in your case (built in) you would need an appliance repair tech to do this for you.
Its really up to you but the unit is only 6 years old. There are a lot of things that can cause this but most of them aren't all that expensive to fix.
I will be here if you need further advice.
Have a great day Patsy.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Michael, I'll get on to it tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome and have a great day.
I will be here and please do keep me posted!
Tech Michael