Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a fault on my zanussi ZWF 1451 W: individually the machine

I have a fault on my zanussi ZWF 1451 W: individually the machine will fill, Spin , Drain, but when set to wash it will stop after about 20 mins, m/c tries to restart several times but will continually fail in its attempt. This model has a jet wash system, this will fail then restart only to stop again.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Does your machine have a display or only lights?
When it stops, the start light should be flashing, count the number of flashes and let me know how many.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This model has a display. I have not seen an error displayed

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
Hopefully I've picked the right machine as there are several variations.

Switch on.
Close the door.
Press and hold together the start button and the skip button.
While holding, you should see a code.
Let me know the code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here are my error codes as requested MB ALARM:E 35 followed by U1 ALARM:E 00

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

E35 indicates a fault in the pressure system or a fault in the wash element.

E00 indicates no fault.

If you select rinse, does the machine carry out the rinses, spin and end as it should?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done the rinse cycle as you requested.There were no problems with this cycle.I have rechecked error code and it still shows E35

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The stored error won't change until a new one overwrites it.

Put the machine on it's hottest wash.
During the wash, check the door glass to see if it's heating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have to go out for a while again, so will get back to you after 5pm

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back again. No change still getting stuck at about 1/2 hour into programme.Tested on a cotton wash set to 90. Max temp

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Did the water get hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it did

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it got Very hot

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

It's a pretty strange fault as it's only affecting the wash part of the cycle.

The service manual lists the code as a faulty inlet valve (flooding), faulty pressure switch or faulty control board.

As your machine isn't flooding (and it's heating ok) it would suggest the board or pressure switch is at fault.

Normally, a pressure switch fault would also affect the rinse program.

Sorry, it's pointing toward a board fault.

How old is the machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The machine in question is 7 years old. I have the original paper work showing it was bought in march 2007. It has had no other failures so far . Is it plain worn out or can it be saved?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
It can certainly be saved, but, you would need to decide whether it's financially viable or not.

If it's a board fault, then the cheapest option is a fixed price repair.
If they cover your area, British Gas and Knowhow (Currys) both offer a repair that includes parts and labour.
British Gas is £125 and Knowhow is around the same (you have to check with them for a quote).

If it's a pressure switch fault, then it's about the same cost for a local engineer.

Obviously, an on site engineer will be able to test further to try and narrow the fault down.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your help.In view of the age of the machine i think it will have to be replaced. I will rate you at 10/10 for your help

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for letting me know.

Good luck with the new appliance.