Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Plastimo 2 ring ceramic hob. The H hot indicator lights come

Customer Question

Plastimo 2 ring ceramic hob. The H hot indicator lights come on for both rings when the unit is switched on. The hob has not been used for several months so it is not a hot problem. Repeated pressing of the heat controls eventually allows the ring to be adjusted to a heat setting, but this only lasts a few seconds and the F indicator flashes and the unit returns to the H indicator. Is there any way the hob can be reset?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and thank you for useing Just Answer;

I would like to help you out, but I'll need the model and serial number of your unit. Outside of that, the most common problems that these units have is that your setting control has corroded and it's not making the correct kind of contact. This normally happens when things like these sit for an extended period of time and is also affected by the weather if it happens to be sitting outside even covered to include sitting inside a storage unit that is not tempature controled. Condinsation builds up beteween tempatures from inside your unit and the outside. If this unit is in a boat then it compounds the problem because of the exceeded high humidity and moisture just because of it happens to be on the lake/ocean. Moisture will occur even so slightly. Of course this doesn't normally happen in one season, it starts to show after a few years, and that depends on how much it gets used during the time of operation. Meaning the less it gets used, the more chance it has to corrode.

As far as resetting, this won't help simply because you are not making connection needed in the first place. The "F" indacator as you mention is telling you that the unit has a failure problem and will automatically reset or shut off. This is a safety device installed and it keeps this hub from catching fire. If this happens to be on a boat, then studies have shown that most fires start in the gallery ... ie kitchen. You are better off replacing the controls, and this will fix your problem.

If you have any other problems, feel free to contact me. I wish you the best.
Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gary.

Thanks for your response. The hob is on my boat and I don't have the serial number. It says Plastimo Eureka on the face of the hob and it is a 2 burner unit about 7 years old, but hardly used.

You mention that the controls could be replaced. Is this a job I could do myself (I'm fairly competent at most DIY type jobs, mend clocks etc)? If so, what parts would I need and about how much would they be? Or is it probably scrap?

John
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

To answer your question, to just replace the controls, you wouldn't be to far off from getting a new one. With new, remember you get warantee. Since this unit is seven years old and seldom used, I would replace it. It wouldn't be worth going through the trouble in replacing parts just so you still can have a 7 yr old cooker.

Check this web site out. http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/items/comfort-on-board/cookers~hobs/list.htm Just scroll down and you'll come up with ceramic hobs. All the size and dementions are listed so you can order to fit. This is a job that you can do on your own. Just remember to turn off the power before you start. You be surprised on the number of people who forget to do that.

The price average 125 in UK. I would also suggest that you also buy what is called "Humidity Absorber" you can get it by the bag. This will help control the humidity with-in these appliances as well as other sensitive instruments that cannot deal with high moisture. This will help save you headaches down the road. I wish you the best.

Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gary

I've just checked the website you mentioned but the prices are over £400, not around £150. Three questions - 1) is there somewhere that sells these units for £150 (I imagine not). 2) does this mean it may be cost effective to try to repair the hob and if so, how. 3) could I simply buy a domestic 240 volt unit and use that on the boat ( the current hob only works off the 220v shore power connection, or the generator.

John
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

Answers to your questions, try this web site http://www.empiredirectappliances.co.uk/product_listings.aspx?action=clean&cNode=38&mNode=36&pNode=37 - it may not be the same brand but Baumatic BH300 built in ceramic hob sells for 125 your currency. Unless you have an oven. I assumed you didn't because most 2 burner ceramic hobs normally don't come with one.

As for question 3) yes you can just make sure the electrical wires can handle the load. In most cases they can. Just make sure you watch the "total" wattage useage when buying. Compare that to your current unit you don't want to be over. Another thing about domestic just because they are rated at 240, doesn't nessary mean they use 240. There are alot of appliances that will say 220/240. something to keep in mind.

As for question 2) here's another thought. I can locate you a price however I need the model and serial number off your unit. Today all parts Techs are totally blind without that number. Just got to love the computer age in taking out common sense and general knowledge. Another thing you can do if you want is to change it out to gas/propane. These units are cheaper and more durable to the conditions you are putting it to. They are less likely to give you problems only because there is less electrical componits to go bad. On another positive side they can work off of a 20 pound or 9kg bottle. These bottles can be placed in the cabnit and you can hook them up as a gas grill so it would be easy for you to remove and refill. Outside of that, some boats have gas heaters so you can also tie into that supply line as well. Next to that, it would also give you or free up additional electrical power from your generator to allow you to update/install some new toys for yout boat. Just an idea.

Any other questions, please let me know. I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gary

Many thanks for all your help. I will just use a small domestic unit for circa £125. I don't want any gas on the boat and I don't want to pay the £700 that the original unit cost!

Once again, many thanks

John
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

You are most welcome. I wish you the best