How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Techdesk Your Own Question
Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 16409
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Techdesk is online now

I have a Baumatic BMC255SS 25 Litre built in microwave oven

Customer Question

I have a Baumatic BMC255SS 25 Litre built in microwave oven with grill.

My appliance has stopped heating or cooking food, everything seems to be working except for actually cooking the food, everything ends up at the same temperature as it started.

The appliance has two and a half years use.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
How are your diy skills?
Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Are you looking to repair this yourself or do you need a repairer?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No multimeter skills.....


 


Probably will need a repairer if its the thing that blasts the micro waves, dont want to call in an engineer if its something simple a user can fix.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK thanks for that.

It's very likely the magnetron or the transformer at fault.
Sometimes it's simply poor connections but normally it's the magnetron and/or transformer.

However, microwave ovens can store a charge of over 4000 volts even when unplugged.
You would need to have the knowledge and tools to safely discharge this before working on it.

I would suggest it's safer to get someone in as they will have to leak test the machine after repair to ensure it's safe.

Sorry, microwaves aren't really a diy project and a multimeter is required to test the magnetron.

If you decide to take a look inside, be careful and make sure you don't touch any of the high voltage components.

Let me know what you find or if you need help with finding a repairer.

Thanks