Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My Hoover WD9616C 80 washer dryer just wont dry. Washes fine,

My Hoover WD9616C 80 washer dryer just won't dry. Washes fine, but on any dry cycle it's always the same: E12 comes up after a few minutes and there is no indication of any heat.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband has one and was an electrician before he retired, so yes, he can use one.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Check the dryer element and thermostats to see if any are open circuit.

Your machine is reporting a fault with the dryer board and/or an open circuit in the heater/wiring/thermostat.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband reports no open circuits.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, so that leaves you with the faulty dryer board.

Sorry, but if the element, wiring and thermostat are all closed circuit, it suggests the fault lies with the board.

Hook the multimeter up to the element and monitor it, see if the element is powered at any point.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband has just gone to check the element. Incidentally, if I switch off at the wall plug and remove the plug, then plug in again and switch back on, the error message disappears and the machine can be operated, but still the dryer won't heat up.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The error code will go if you reset it.
The dryer won't heat up if the board is faulty or if there's an open circuit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The element is reading 238v. My husband pressed something that looks like a tiny button on top of the ?thermostat and the condenser started heating up. Hope this makes sense.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, so the thermostat was open circuit.
Pressing the reset button will have put it back to a closed circuit position and is now allowing voltage to the element.

Make sure the fan is running properly.

If it keeps tripping the thermostat, check the fan chamber and the condenser chamber below it are clean and clear.

Good luck with the appliance.

Hope this helped