Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Zanussi ZWF 1421W. Almost every wash now stops halfway

I have a Zanussi ZWF 1421W. Almost every wash now stops halfway with machine with water. Forums suggest that the filter is blocked. I've drained that (the filter at the bottom front right) and it works for a few washes but then problem returns.
I can force it to drain by putting in on a drain cycle but today even that didn't work.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok lets see what the error code is stored in there.

Set the washer going on a spin cycle.

Then you need to press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.

Keep them held in and after a few seconds the leds will go out.

Now the start light and the end light will be flashing.

You need to count the number of flashes from each of the lights inbetween the pause and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel. I seem to have gotten the spin cycle to work at the moment but I know I will get the problem again soon if not in the next wash.

I will follow your instructions and report back.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

No worries once we know the error code we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

The problem occurred again. I followed your instructions and set to spin cycle, held buttons etc. No flashing lights happened. When I let the buttons go, the wash seemed to start up again and is still continuing as I type.

Catherine

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Did you hold both the start button and the button to the left of it?

If that didn't work then turn the dial to off and close the door.

Press and hold the start button and the button to the left again and keep them held in.

Now turn the dial 1 click clockwise.

Keep the buttons held in till the leds flash then let go.

Now turn the dial 9 clicks clockwise and now the start light and end light will be flashing.

Count the number of flashes from each light and let me know.

Then turn the washer off the on then back off again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - I have got it to work.

The flashes = 2.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Which light was 2?

I need the number of flashes from both the start light and the end light.

EG start light 2 end light 1.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok - now fully understand.

start = 1, end = 2

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's great the error code you have is a draining problem.

What you need to do is recheck the filter again at the bottom but this time when you remove the filter look inside the chamber were the filter goes and at the back you will see the pump impeller X shape. Make sure theres nothing jammed up in there stopping it from turning.

If the pump and filter is fine then check the drain hose and were it goes to. If it goes under a sink then remove the spigot the hoses pushes onto and make sure theres nothing blocked up in there.

If that all clear and the washer is still playing up then its possibley the pump itself at fault here as pumps on these can play up were 1 minute its working the next its isn't.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Just wondering how you got on with the washer as the question is still open.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It appears that the pump will need replacing so I've been looking at options there. We can now close this. Thanks for your help.