Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi the main ring on my Stoves range cooker wont stay alight.

the main ring on my Stoves range cooker won't stay alight. I've had a look at the heat sensor and it seems fine, so I think the problem is with the bit behind the knob that keeps the gas flowing. The ring lights fine but won't stay lit unless the knob is pressed in. The other rings work fine. How do I get check the bit behind the knob?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried packing the knob out?

Push some paper into the hole of the knob were it pushes onto the thermostat as this packs it out and sometimes cures this fault.

Try that first and let me know if it works.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Won't that leave the knob effectively pushed in and bypass the safety feature? If the gas stops burning and the knob is pushed in, gas will continue to flow.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Not if you only use a little bit. If you fill the hole it will but just a small piece shouldn't but this is just to check if it is the thermostat itself at fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How will that check if the thermostat is at fault? I've got the thing mostly in pieces at the moment, so it'll take a little while to reassemble, but I can emulate what you're suggesting by holding the metal bit that the knob pushes in and twists.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok don't worry about that then. I didn't realise you had it a part.

Can you post the full model number of the cooker please. It may be all number if so you need to prefix it with an A otherwise it gets crossed out.

Eg 44444123456

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you suggested. The component I was looking at was the ignition. I lit the main ring, held it for a few seconds and slowly let the push in part out. The flame reduced as I let the metal bit out, then went out. As far as I can tell taking the front off hasn't helped at all! Model number is XXXXX

I'm going to start re-assembling the front. I think the temperature control is accessed through the top. Let me know if this isn't the thing to do.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok on these to access the thermostat the top needs to be removed.

Take off all the pan stands and burner caps and then around each burner are some screws. Remove them.

Then look on the back and there should be a few screws there holding the hob top to the back.

Remove them and then from memory the top lifts up from the back then slid it forwards and then it should lift off.

Once the hob top is off you can then access the thermostat itself from there and swap it over if faulty which from what you say if the sensor is fine it can only be the thermostat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - will have a look. That's about how far I got last time, but I couldn't see how to get the thermostat out, or how to replace it. The sensor cable seemed fine and the connections all looked good. Can you tell me where I can get a technical manual that details this sort of stuff?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Once the hob top is off you then need to remove the front control panel then you can remove the thermostat.

As to a technical manual im afraid Stoves don't produce them for the public or trade. They are only for there own engineers only and very hard to come by.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got the top and front off. How do I remove the thermostat? The sensor cable clips into the back of the compartment where the gas goes. I've had a go at unscrewing what I assume is the thermostat to remove it from the gas compartment. Is this how it should come out? It's tightly screwed in (not sure of the term, but it needs a spanner to loosen it), or should the thermostat come out more easily?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok were the front of the thermostat pokes through for the knob to push on theres usually either 2 screws or a biggish nut holding it onto the front.

Undo that and then you should be able to remove it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've taken off 2 screws from the front. These have released a spring and a bolt that I've been able to take out. It doesn't look like that's the thermostat. There's a biggish nut at the back that i've taken off, but this just holds the temperature sensor to the thermistor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've got the thermistor. It comes out at the back, not the front. It was held in by the big nut you described and needed a little tug. Can you tell me where to get a replacement part (code 3135/73 ORKL 7J)

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The best place to get the part will be from stoves direct.

There number is XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNand ask for spares and give them that 444 number and they should be able to order and send it out to you.