Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My Bosch washing machine is leaving brown marks on my washing.

My Bosch washing machine is leaving brown marks on my washing. I have cleaned the drum with a cloth and run a hot wash with no clothes in but I am still getting the brown marks. What can I do please?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Do the marks wash out or are they permanent?
Open the door of the machine.
Run a rag under the door seal where it meets the inner drum, at the bottom.
Is there gunge on the rag?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Most of the marks wash out - but a few are black and permanent. The other marks are soft brown spots that can be removed with a fingernail but if not dry to a brown spot that will wash out next time.

I have cleaned around the door seal and my cloth shows black marks. When I emptied the machine via the drain plug at the bottom the water was cloudy with lots of loose brown bits (some crumb size) in it.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
It's what is under the door seal I need to know about.
It should be a grey to brown coloured gunge, if it's there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - the seal is stained black and there is no gunge.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, the staining is mould and that's now permanent.
To fully get rid of it would require a new door seal to be fitted.

I would have expected gunge under the seal as the markings on the clothes that you describe suggest a build up of gunge in the tub is breaking away.

It will take more than a hot wash to clean the machine up and stop the deposits on the clothes.

You need to get hold of some washing machine cleaner product, something like Afresh.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window to see the product

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=afresh

Run the machine on a couple of it's hottest washes to clear out as much of the loose build up as possible, then run a couple of programs with the cleaning product.

This may be enough to clean up your machine (as the build up hasn't reached the door seal yet).
If not, you need to continue cleaning until it stops the deposits.

Once cleaned up, you need to regularly clean the machine with the product to prevent a repeat of the deposits.

It's a very common problem but can be sorted by regulator maintenance washes.

Check it out, get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps