Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi, The door on our our built in Zanussi ZT 605 dishwasher

The door on our our built in Zanussi ZT 605 dishwasher (old but until now working fine) is locked shut. We have tried pulling and lifting the door very hard and moving the door to the side but nothing works. I have also taken off the plinth to get a better look and even tried taking of the door panel but I am not sure I can do this without the dishwasher door being open in the first place.

It would be great to get you suggestions on how to get the door open?

Thanks very much.

Michael
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael,

Thank you for useing Just Answer. Per your problem here ... well, it's going to be a chore, but I think you can do it. However it'll take some doing.

You might have to remove the unit from under the counter if you cannot get to the hinges below. Remove the cover plate on the bottom of the dishwasher. If I remember these hinges are screwed in from the side. If so, then this unit will need to be pulled out. The door is just sitting on the hinges persay. The hinges are tied together with a tie rod. you can get access to it by removing the lower door seal. Just be careful to not damage it. Once exposed you can simple pop the tie rod off from the hinges. The hinges will come out seperately.

Once you have those removed, the bottom part of the door should come out. From there you should be able to get the latch to release. It's broke so you don't have to worry about it. Just be careful as to not add extended stress to the door. If the door comes out far enough you should be able to turn it some and sometimes this will allow the latch to release. Also if you can, remove the handle from the latch. Should only be two screws. Sometimes they can be stubbron. If you can get the handle out, you should be able to slide the door panel out from the bottom. This will require the machine being tilted or having you lay it on it's back. I hope you have nothing to breakable in there.

Please remember that you have a waterline and drain to deal with when you remove this unit from it's home of many years. If I can be more help as you take on this project just let me know. Only other advice I can give you is remember where everything goes so you don't have any extra parts.(write it down)

I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary,
I do not live in the propertyy wher the dishwasher is, hence the delay.
Sorry about that.

I will get a chance to have a proper go at it this afternoon.

I have a follow up question - where is the latch i will be looking for once
i have removed the hinges?

Also, onc ethe door is open, will i need a new latch?

Thanks very much.

Mike

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,

The latch is located "top center" of your machine ... thats where the handle is. And yes, you will need to replace that latch.

I wish you the best

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much Gary. We managed to get the door panel off and open the door. As you say, the latch needs replacing - a little bit of pastic inside the slot at top middle of the door has broken off. It looks like this is what the catch that sticks out from the main part of the dishwasher goes into and keeps the door shut. If you have any ideas where to obtain the part, that'd be great.

Thanks again.

Mike

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Well as for your part, well your machine is at that age where certian things has been discontinued. The latch being one of them. I tell you what however in cases like these I look for the old mom and pop repair shops, or someone who repairs these things out of their garage. In cases like these they normally will have a combat of a junk yard, or just a tolt of latches thrown in together. Now new price sells for $18.00 so at least you know about what to pay for used. This will be about your only bet.

If you would bring the latch with you, they do inner change with other machines, and those parts will be available. Here are some names that it should interchange with;
Suitable for AEG, Alno, Arthur Martin, ATLAS, Blanco, Castor, Corbero, Domoline, Electrolux, Elektro Helios, ETNA, Faure, Husqvarna Electrolux, Juno, Marijnen, Nardi, New Pol, Onyx, Rex, Rosenlew, Seppelfricke, Therma, Tricity, Tricity Bendix, UPO, Zanker, Zanussi, Zoppas Dishwashers. - See more at: http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/brands/zanussi/dishwashers/zt605%20(91182503300)/door-latch/95416.htm#sthash.jufX1P6N.dpuf

AEG, Alno, Arthur Martin, ATLAS, Blanco, Castor, Corbero, Domoline, Electrolux, Elektro Helios, ETNA, Faure, Husqvarna Electrolux, Juno, Marijnen, Nardi, New Pol, Onyx, Rex, Rosenlew, Seppelfricke, Therma, Tricity, Tricity Bendix, UPO, Zanker, Zanussi, Zoppas Dishwashers.

I hope this helps ... I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Taht's great - thanks very much for all your help.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Your welcome. Please hit a possitive rating so other will know what kind of work I do.

Gary