Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

we have a direct drive 7.5 kg LG machine, WM 16331 FD. all

we have a direct drive 7.5 kg LG machine, WM 16331 FD. all power is on to the machine, all panel lights are on. Door is shut, start button is flashing but nothing happens when we push this switch for a go. Thought for some reason it may be a problem with the interlock but on second thoughts maybe not. Any ideas welcomed. Machine is seven years old now.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for using Just Answer.

Per your problem, two things stand out. First would be the door switch. This controls the washer. I am wondering do you show a code "DE"? Its a code that says door open. In asking, does your machine put out any other code? Do you have any movement in your door? (up and down) How about when it is closed? Please check ...

You say the lights are on, are these the same lights that are normally on when you use the machine? Is everything the same as it always has been? If so then this leads me to believe the "start" button has gone out. As old as your machine is, and if you have a children then you are continually washing. If so this is a common problem with these machines. If you can help me with these questions, then I could narrow it down for you. Thank you

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi and thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the delay, may be due to time zone differences. Right in answer, yes the lights, as I put it, are the same as normal except the 'door locked' light does not show. We do not get any error codes come up to indicate what the problem may be. Although the machine is seven or so years old it does not deal with excessive loads or runs as we are just a couple, children long since left to their own homes. Oh and there is not any movement on the door either up or down when closed.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for getting back. In what you are saying here it sounds like the door switch is the guilty party here. If everything lights up except that, then the machine reconizes the door is closed, however it is confused as to what to do next. These switches has to varify two things at the same time. 1) common sense (it's closed) 2) allows the machine to continue..

The latter part of the switch may be out. These switches work on a slide system. It is quite common that these go out because of wear. One of these slide connections sends the "power" to your start button. If you are handy, you can buy one of these at Amazon for 9.99 you currentcy. If you happen to be all thumbs, maybe a handy neighbor can doo it for you. It is a simple job.

I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary. Many thanks for your ideas on our problem. I did think first of all that the switch may be the problem but thought I should get a second opinion. I have seen a short video on how to change these types of switches and it seems very straightforward. I do have a clear idea of these mechanical things as I spent over 50 years as an engineer and do at present enjoy building and running miniature steam locomotives. So I will try to obtain one of these and replace it before taking up any more thoughts, let us hope it works once again. Thanks again for your input. Stan

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Stan,

I hope I didn't insult you in anyway. If by chance I did, I'm truely sorry. Communicating this way it is very hard for us to tell who has the ability and who doesn't.

I'm very fasinated about your steam locomotives ... I have a dear friend who collects train memobililas ... you woudn't want to sell one would you??

Anyways, if you are happy with my answer please give me a rating.

Thanks so much ... I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again, no there was never any indication of an insult, and I do appreciate how difficult it must be 'talking' with somebody you can't see and is many miles away. As for steam locomotives, I am afraid my Wife and family will not allow me to sell any of my (Six to date) locomotives. They all carry some memories from over the many years building them. The latest I purchased from a dear friends widow in Ontario Canada after he passed away. I had it shipped over here to the UK and finished it off, it know takes pride of place when we have running days at our club track. Oh well back to the more mundane things like washing machines. If I may I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again Gary, regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Gary. New switch interlock fitted today, no difference, no action frthe washing machine. Since we have had this machine, seven years or so, it has not been without a few very small problems, now this is something else. As we do need to provide clean clothing on a fairly regular basis we have decided to go that big step forward and purchase a new machine. However i will persevere with the old one to see if it can be fixed economically. If so we will place it as a reserve for the entire family. I appreciate your input on this as I have no idea about the PCB world of today, just like motor vehicles, they are fine while they work, when that stops they are a real financial liabilty. many thanks once agaion, keep up the good work. Stan.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Stan,

I'm sorry the switch didn't take hold for you. On an off chance did you get a close look at the harness that plugs into it? Was it loose when you reinstalled it? Corroded perhaps? Just as a reminder, these three wires are installed independant of one another in the harness clip, so I'm wondering as you pushed the plug into place, did you notice one wire sticking out more-so than the other? Maybe a factory clip end more exposed? Sometimes grabing a small screwdriver and pushing the wires back into place will do the trick. I won't give up unless you do. All food for thought. Just let me know

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Harness and all three wires appeared to be fine, did check for a second time to make sure it was in the correct way around, but of course it will only go in one way. Did make sure plug was fully home and tried again,. Still nothing. We do take a realistic approach to all these white goods these days, with a general check on total prices over the period of ownership these things work out fairly economical, the problem is of course that all of a sudden we are faced with a fairly high outlay when we were not expecting it. If you can compare the cost of this particular machine some seven years ago at £400 GBP to the average use of three times a week it works out to a failry low total per week, A 'new' machine with possible up grades to all ot the systems is still aoround the same price here in the UK, so that has convinced us to take a chance.and go for new. Again many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX investigatingand let yopu know if a fairly early result is obtained. (Just out of interest where in the US are you located approximately.)

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Stan,

I'm in the state of North Dakota. A long story for me being here, but I do get to meet a lot of cool people. My wife and I are planning a trip to Norway, in which that's where our family is from. Oslo on her side, the Islands on mine. On this trip we'll be making some rounds. We'll have a long layover in London so we'll be taking in the sites there. On the way home we're going to take an extended route by way of Germany, France, Itlay and maybe Spain. Depending on where you are, maybe we could stop by and you can show me those trains ... I do wish you and yours the best.

Gary