Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Ryobi 30cc 4 stroke String Trimmer/Brushcutter I can start

Customer Question

Ryobi 30cc 4 stroke String Trimmer/Brushcutter

I can start my strimmer but I cant get any acceleration. As soon as try to get revolutions the engine cuts out, it seems like fuel starvation problem, but I can not be sure

Brian Cave 01242 528767
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi Brian,

Gary :

Thank you for using Just Answer ...

Gary :

Just so you know I'm going to switch this to Q&A so that we could have more time to work out your problem. This will give me some time to look into your situation and be able to ask you some questions.

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hey Brian,

Please ingore the upper post. I'm still with you. The main question I have for now is this ...Is this a new unit? If not then how did you store it through the winter season? Was there gas in the tank when you put it away?

If you can answer these then it would give me a better idea where to start.

Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

unit approx 18 months old

tank drained

unit stored in garden summer house

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gary Where are you I have answered your questions but you have not replied

Brian

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,

Thank you for getting back. The problem with your unit is that the gasoline varnished inside your fuel line and carborator. This happens when you don't completely run it out of gas. You can normally turn this around by adding a fuel line cleaner into the tank. It will only take an once. Start it and let it run for some time. (half hour) This will allow the cleaner to get into the fuel system. While still running see if you can throttle it up some. very slowly. If it starts to cut out back off, and move the choke to half closed, and then throttle it up again. You might have to play with the choke some while doing this. It won't be uncommon for you to close the choke completely. This will force the engine to draw more fuel and it should start to pick up speed. You may have to do this for a while, but it is always a good sign that it started. Eventually the choke will not be needed and it should resume back to its normal self. Come this fall, drain the tank, and then start it. Make sure it is completely out of gas before you put it away. When it quits, close the choke and try and start it again. If there is any extra fuel this will pick it up and burn off the rest.

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gary, Thank you very much for your help. Tomorrow I will buy fuel line cleaner and do as you have instructed, hopefully it will prove successful

Brian

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,

You are welcome. If you need any more help please let me know.

I wish you the best.

Gary