Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi my AEG Lavamat washing machine has developed a strange noise.

Customer Question

Hi my AEG Lavamat washing machine has developed a strange noise. It still operates but there is a constant 'ticking/clickling' throughout the whole cycle. Almost sounds like a noisy engine ticking over. Any ideas?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the product number (PNC) of the appliance please?
It should be on a label in the door recess.
It begins with 9 or 6 so you need to prefix it with A to prevent it being crossed out.
EG. A914419941 00

Is the noise only when the drum turns, only when the drain pump runs or all the time?
Is the noise from the top area or the bottom?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi the machine is on at the moment. The only number visible is L63742VI.

It stopped making the noise when it began to fill for the rinse. It started again after the water had stopped filling. It doesn't look as though it is linked to the drum turning as that appears to be turning freely. Noise appears to be coming from the top of the machine - close to the programmer.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Unplug the appliance
Take the top off.

Keep yourself well clear of the electrics when you test this.

Plug in and run the machine.
Listen carefully, is the clicking from the circuit board in the facia?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again

Noise is not coming from the circuit board or from the top of the machine as I'd thought. Its coming from the back of the machine below the drum.

I've listened to another full programme and the noise is only happening after the machine fills with water. Its not the motor as the noise isn't there during a spin.

It appears to be when the water is being heated. I put the machine on a hotter wash and the noise was there for longer.

Is there something in the heater which could be making the noise - the machine is still heating the water ok.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No, the heater is simply an element.
Put the machine on rinse.
Does it make the noise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. Yes put the machine on a rinse programme and got the same noise whenever the water stopped filling.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, spin the drum by hand as fast as you can.
Do you hear the noise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Drum spinning fine manually - no noise.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, that's very strange as the only thing at the rear that would make a clicking noise is the motor.

This can be a broken carbon brush or a lifted segment on the motor armature.

If your machine has a rear panel, take it off and listen there to see if it's the motor.
If no rear panel, you need to take the top and the rear half of the casing off to access the motor.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi it wasn't the motor - it is running smoothly. We did discovered a piece of cement which had fallen off the drum surround and was trapped beside the pump. We cleaned all the broken cement away. I've tried a short cycle amd didnt hear the noise but will try it again tomorrow to see how it really is.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Not a common fault and the pump is at the front of the machine, the motor at the rear below the tub.

I'd be concerned about the concrete weight breaking up.

Check to ensure it's firmly fixed in place, if it isn't or if it's badly damaged, you could potentially wreck the machine by using it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again

I'm afraid the machine is still making the strange noise. Clearing out the little pieces of cement has not made any difference. (the cement is not badly damaged and looks in good condition)

There's a pump (with electric attached) towards the rear of the machine (which we've checked by removing it) and its clear. We've checked the pump filter at the front of the machine by accessing the knob under the machine door) and its clear. Can you tell me if there is another part of the pump which we should manually check for possible obstructions?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,Have you tried running the machine with the rear off so you can listen to it?The drawings show a drain pump at the front and a recirculation pump at the right side.Does the machine make the noise during spin or only during the wash?Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again

I've listened to many cycles now and confirm that the machine doesn't make the sound during filling/emptying/spining or draining. It only makes the noise during the wash part of the cycle. My husband said to describe it as a chugging noise rather than a clicking noise. It appears to be coming from below the drum - not the pump or the motor. It makes the noise immediately the machine stops filling and before the drum starts turning. Is it def nothing to do with the heating element if that's where that's located?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.

The only thing that can cause the noise is the circulation pump.
(not the one with the drain hose attached).

To check, disconnect the wiring to it and try the machine.
If no noise, you need to replace that pump.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes