Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a whirlpool American style fridge freezer S25CCSS31

I have a whirlpool American style fridge freezer S25CCSS31 that has worked well for the last 8 years or so. Last year the fridge was not cooling at all, when the freezer was working normally. An engineer came out and replaced the damper valve between the fridge and the freezer. Everything worked well for a month or so then the fridge became too cold, regardless of the setting on the front. Stuff was freezing in the fridge when it said 5 degrees on the front. The engineer guy came back and said the damper must have been faulty and replaced it with a new one. Now a few months later the same problem has come back with the fridge overcooling. When I open the fridge door there is a clicking noise coming from the damper as if it is continually trying to activate. Does this mean that the electronics controlling the damper is where the fault lies?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Your damper is faulty or iced up.

Do you get any ice forming at the left side front, beside the drawer?
Is there ice forming at the top of the freezer, near the light switch?
Do you keep uncovered liquids on the top shelf of the fridge?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for getting back so quickly. No ice forms beside the light switch but occasionally there is ice bottom front left beside the drawer slider. We don't keep uncovered liquids in the fridge
W
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Somewhere air is getting into the appliance, causing the ice to form in the air diffusor (what your repairer calls a damper valve).
When it ices up it will have trouble opening or closing.
One leads to over cooling in the fridge the other leads to the fridge being too warm.

When it's too warm, you also get the ice build up at the air return by the drawer.

I would suggest checking the door seals on both the fridge and freezer.
They are fairly hard with a soft outer that presses onto the cabinet.

Check along the face of the seal, if it's hard and not soft and spongy, the seal is no good.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You,re right, there is a gap at the bottom left of the fridge door. At sometime in the past we had to have the lower plastic hinge bearing replaced as the door wasn't closing properly. I don't think the door has ever sealed properly here. the seal appears compressed and doesn't mate with the fridge body. Are parts still made to have a new seal fitted?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
If you can find a repairer that knows how to replace the seals, then, yes they can be replaced.

In the main, it's new doors required.

My machine is older than your one (12 years old) and I've just had new doors ordered for it.
Very expensive though, around £800 for both doors (I have my machine on contract so no cost to me).

Check when you open and close the doors.
Do they rise up a little and then drop back down as they close/open?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they don't rise and fall anymore. The plastic cam/bearing at the lower hinge has worn away. Looks like new hinges and seals might sort things. Seems a lot to have the doors replaced . Is the job of fitting new seals difficult? My wife has just told me the machine is10years old.
Thanks for your input.
W
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes, it's not easy to replace the seals, it involves precision cutting of the old seal to leave a socket for the new seal.

You also need to replace the hinge bearings on the doors, both parts, to get the door working as it should.

Check British Gas and Knowhow (Currys).
They both offer fixed price repairs that include parts and labour.

The fridge door is around £200 to £300 so you would save a good bit using them, if they cover your area.

Check it out, get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK