Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a Beko AS920 american style fridge freezer 5years old

Customer Question

I have a Beko AS920 american style fridge freezer 5years old .
the last few weeks it has taken to switching itself off , no cooling , no freezing . there is still power to the unit as the digital display still lights up .
if you unplug from the wall and then leave it ten minutes it usually starts up again generally only for a few hours .
we were told to turn it off and unplug for 24 hrs as we may have confused it and it needed to defrost and clean itself .........
it started again fine ,freezer working ,fridgeworking but again after about 8 hours stops again .
we did initially take the back grill off and hover it as it was very Dusty , fluffy .
Thinking about it i am not sure it has made any noise recently .......
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If it runs till it cools down, then goes into defrost mode (it should do this defrost mode roughly every 8 hours) and doesn't start up again, it suggests the defrost sensor on the freezer evaporator isn't working properly.

There are other causes, such as faulty wiring (not repairable as it's foamed in) or a faulty control board, but the sensor is the most common cause.

I'd suggest having the sensors in the freezer replaced, especially the defrost sensor.

If trying to repair yourself, the sensors are behind the rear panels inside the freezer.
You have to strip it all out to get to the evaporator and in turn the sensors.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps