Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

ke7ze230 fridge freezer. Fridge is fine and motors/fans

Customer Question

ke7ze230 fridge freezer. Fridge is fine and motors/fans are running at the back. Freezer has cold bottom but rest of freezer not chilling and ice maker not making ice cubes. do i need to change the themostat?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,
Sorry to hear that.
IS there any heavy frost on the rear wall inside the freezer?
Also how old is the fridge,freezer?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

7 years old.

yes there is a light frosting on the rear panel.

food at the bottom is freezing.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Paul, this may failing door seal, but it may just need to be defrosted.
It could also be a failed defrost component but its too soon to say.
What I need for you to do, and I know its a pain, but defrost the entire unit for 24 hours with the doors open, no power. Also check the door seals for cracks and gaps.
Then wipe up any water and there will likely be quite a bit.
Then re start the unit, chances are it will work perfectly again.
But if you have this issue in a few weeks again, please contact me and we will replace the defrost components that need to be replaced.
I will stick with you until we are sure of this all but
since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Paul.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael,

Thanks for the upate, I think the door seals are ok, I did have a wet rear wall earlier, now it has frost on it so i think the freezer is working but not to desired temperature ie it doesn't seem to be getting any where near low enough. I was wondering if I do a total defrost would that fix a faulty thermostat.....I have a pretty full fridge (but not freezer, which I can empty easily). I would rather not switch it off for 24 hours but if I could take out the thermostat and defrost that unit perhaps that would get thins done faster? The question is, where is it and what does it look like, on line manuals are useless and show nothing of any use so need to be told where it is and how to access it please?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Paul, I'm not sure about the T stat yet, it may be fine, but you can replace it if you want while defrosting, it wont hurt, thats for sure. But it may be ok
I will stick with you, any questions just ask me ;-)
Have a great day and thanks for the rating!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael,

One loast thing, the fan that cools the ice tray in the ice safe in th top doesn't seem to be working at all.....is that a clue to whats not working elsewhere?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Paul, if that fan isn't working it probably needs replacing, you can test the wires with a mutimeter to see if its getting power, please let me know
Tech Michael