Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

HI I have a Samsung RL37LGSW fridge freezer. The fridge has

HI
I have a Samsung RL37LGSW fridge freezer. The fridge has stopped cooling... or it is barely cooling and the freezer is over cooling... leaving frost on the corners on the top shelf / drawer and along the door.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi, and thank you for using Just Answer.

Gary :

About your freezer, do you hear any unusual noises, humming ... Anything?

Customer:

it has always made noises since we bought it about 3 years ago...

Customer:

So no .... no unusual noises...if anything it is quieter...

Customer:

Oh yes... may I say... Hi Gary :)

Gary :

Can you hear it cycle?

Customer:

What does that mean?

Gary :

OK, can or could you tell when your freezer is coming on and shutting off?

Customer:

It turns on and off every 10 / 15 mins I'd say

Customer:

This style is suppose to be frost free, yet for the first time it is 'freezing up' in the freezer and not cooling the fridge

Gary :

Prior to this, can you tell me if this is normal? Meaning has this unit always ran like this, or if this is something new?

Customer:

Something new

Gary :

When did this start?

Customer:

2 weeks ago

Gary :

Thanks, This sounds like the air outlet is plugged. When was the last time you cleaned underneath and behind this unit?

Customer:

Today... it is fully cleaned now.

Customer:

There was water in the dish under the fridge ... that has been emptied.

Customer:

There definitely doesn't seem to be airflow between the freezer and fridge.

Customer:

How can we clean this air flow outlet and where is it?

Gary :

On your type of fridge/freezer your cool air comes from the bottom (freezer) part. Inside of the fridge you should see vents. They are located on the bottom and sides. You should feel air coming from them when the unit is running. If you don't then the air supply duct is plugged, or the fan that moves the air has gone bad.

Customer:

Yes there is no air coming through... how do we clear the air duct?

Gary :

I noticed you mentioned that this fridge/freezer is a lot quieter now ... This tells me the the fan that moves the cool air might have gone out. When you pull the unit out, there should be access panels on the back bottom. Here is where your compressor, cooling coils and everything else it needs to run. Behind the fridge you should see a second motor with a fan blowing into a air duct of some kind. this is where you want to start.

Gary :

the air vent cover is located in the center of the fridge

Customer:

I already looked there and the fans are covered. Checked the circuit board and nothing wrong there. this is a different person. There are no vents on side of fridge only back. six slots two top, two middle and two at crisper.

Customer:

There is no fan working in fridge but freezer is working fine, but freezing when shouldn't. my knowledge tells me that the ir supply from fridge to freezer is blocked and i need to know how to clear it... if you think thts the problem?

Customer:

Fridge not sucking in air when freeer door open AND closed. no air flow in fridge at all...

Customer:

'freezer door'

Gary :

If you look inside of the fridge, the vent is is the center ... now, this vent is either screwed in or snapped in ... can you tell

Customer:

screwed in

Gary :

Ok, you will need to remove that vent cover to get access to clean it. The blockage is normally between the fridge/freezer part. Once you have everything removed, you can use a small vacuum to remove all the lint/dirt. If you can't pull anything through, then the blockage is on the other side of the cooling coils. This is the second most common problem. These coils condense and with that, all of the lint and dirt gets wet and will eventually block the coils.

Customer:

I have opened the cover of the vent at the back of the fridge. There is no air blowing in or sucking out

Gary :

Ok, your blockage is on the otherside of the cooling coils

Customer:

How can we get to them?

Gary :

through the back, where the compressor is

Gary :

this unit cooling/freezing system is all tied together

Customer:

is that at the bottom back of the fridge behind the black panel... He has now taken the back of the freezer off... there is a lot of ice there

Gary :

OK hold on ...

Customer:

The fan seems to be moving fine and no dirt

Gary :

third common problem ...

Gary :

what you have here is a defrost problem. The frig. at so many hours, turns the heater on at the bottom of the evaporator to melt the ice off. Yours has failed. What you need to repair your frig. is as follows; 1] defrost heater at bottom of evaporator 2]
defrost termination thermostat on top of evaporator 3] defrost timer/ control board, could be in frig. or on back wall.

Customer:

Is there a picture on line for us to follow?

Customer:

On the areas you are talking about

Customer:

At the moment we are defrosting all these areas

Customer:

That we know about

Gary :

Ok, here is an easy way for you ... please unplug your fridge/freezer and take a fan to set behind it. Blow it into the back of the unit so it can safely defrost all of the ice, and dry things up for you. Please do not take heat gun or anything else to remove the ice for you will cause more problems

Gary :

Due to your location, I am unable to come up with parts and prices for these parts. What you will need to do is take your complete model number to your closest refrigeration parts house. They will be able to get the parts you need, and tell you where the timer/control is located.

Gary :

This is an easy fix ... once you see the part you'll understand

Customer:

Where is the model number?

Gary :

The model and serial number should be on the side of the door, or just inside of the fridge on the side. Normally they are just a sticker

Customer:

Do you happen to know who is the distributer of part in Ireland for this make?

Gary :

You gave me the model number already, RL37LGSW

Customer:

That's right... no other number? Oh thats fine...

Gary :

Hold on, let me take a look for you

Customer:

Customer:

We are in the West

Gary :

Oh, ok ... thanks that'll narrow it down some

Gary :

I'm sorry this is taking so long ... My system is not working right for some reason. I manage to narrow down this link for you. http://www.4ni.co.uk It is an appliance store locator for Ireland. This company seems to be in the northern part however, but I'm sure they can help you out for what you need. There is still some places in the world we still can't get too for some reason.

Gary :

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know. I wish you the best

Customer:

thank you Gary