Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi I have a rowenta DG9860 liberty steam iron. Great appliance

Hi I have a rowenta DG9860 liberty steam iron. Great appliance but stopped working. Seems to be electrical supply problem but plug top fuse is working ok. Has this unit got an internal fuse? Thanks Andrew
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for using Just Answer. The answer to your question is "no" The fuse that is built into the cord is the only one there is.

I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary, Thanks for your answer which I have only just been able to access. MY Liberty iron is completely dead electrically which is why I asked if there was another internal fuse. In my simple mind I would have thought that if it was a board fault or a power supply internally there should be some sign of life! Could you advise if you could think of a reason that there is no electrical supply to the machine when the plug and fuse are working correctly? Many Thanks Andrew

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Andrew,

In today's appliances to include your iron they are on a circuit board. Everything runs through those boards. This being said, these boards are not design to expand and contract on a constant bases. Especially when high heat is produced. Over a period of time they start to break down. The diodes witch are part of the board are one of the first to go out. Also with the aggressive temperature changes the boards will start to crack and produce stress on the electrical connections with-in the circuit boards, causing them to separate and creating an "arking" effect which in short would be the burnt marks that we see. In the case of your iron, there is an open circuit somewhere which is preventing electricity from travelling through.

If you would put an OHM meter to the plug, (in which I think you had done) you noticed that a reading didn't occur in which confirms that there is an open circuit. You have to remember that with-in these circuit boards there isn't much tolerance and, it doesn't take much to create an open circuit. And not to take out your theory, yes out of the many irons I have taken apart I only found 5 irons that the heating element was out. And yes, it will also give you an open circuit reading as well. You have to remember that electricity is like water ... they both will take the least resistant way of travel, even if in your mind and mine it looks to be that they are taking the long way around. If they cannot do that, they don't travel. Even in a control settings like power lines and pipes, they still take the lease resisted way ... I have seen some funny stuff happen that prevents these two charatures (per-say) from doing their job we want them to do because of some small thing that blocked them. Crazy I know ...

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hope this helps. I do wish you the best.

Gary