Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi, I have a small cottage in North Wales - Living room

I have a small cottage in North Wales - Living room (which has a log burner), bedroom (which has an ensuite), kitchen/diner and small bathroom. I have electric supplied but no gas so I am looking at installing an electric boiler. I would have a radiator in each of the three rooms (all less than 5000 btu) and a heated towel rail in the bathroom and in the ensuite. I am planning to get a 6kw potterton gold electric boiler which the specification says details state will produce up to 20,500BTU. I would also be installing a stainless steel indirect cylinder for hot water. The property has low water pressure and I believe this system would need a circulation pump which would improve the pressure somewhat. Can you advise me on whether or not this system is appropriate for my property. The plumber I have working on the property is not familiar with electric boilers, which I am not worried about as the information available stresses that installation is very easy (90% mechanical 10% electrical)
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

I'm going to turn this into a Q&A we can have more time to respond to one another.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure if you're expecting any more information from me? I wanted to know if you think the system that I am looking at (potterton gold 6kw electric boiler with stainless steel indirect boiler) will be appropriate for the size of my property, and if there is anything particular you would advise me to consider or be aware of with regard to electric boilers..

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Having a property with low water pressure isn't a good idea for a boiler. It takes water pressure to operate one. For example, every boiler has an auto fill. When it gets low on water it will automatically call for water and shut off when it reaches the limit. If you have low pressure, this will not open up the valve, and what will happen is your boiler will shut down because of lack of water. They put in these safety devises to keep from cooking themself out. You have to have a minium of 20 pounds of pressure for this to work correctly. A typical town/city will have 20 to 30 pounds of water pressure. You will need to increase the water pressure from the main in this cottage for it to work. You will also need to make sure that you include a pump so it can draw water to keep up the pressure it needs. On the back side of all of this, whereever you are getting the water from, make sure it can fill the demand.

I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX ask my plumber about the boiler with respect to water pressure. I think he has already considered this and is happy that the pressure, although not high, is sufficient for the boiler. The water pressure issue is not the nub of my question. I wanted to know whether the products - potterton gold 6kw electric boiler and stainless steel cylinder - were appropriate for the size of my property and if the system would have any particular impact on water pressure. I have not been able to find much advice or reviews of electric boilers online. I assume from your answer that you are not particularly familiar with electric boilers either. I think I will need to find an alternative method of advice. Best wishes, MC

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi MC,

Before you cast me off here - I listed the concern that you will be having with this boiler pertaining to your water pressure. As per your boiler, yes it will handle what you want it to do. Just remember that you do not want to go smaller because this boile will just maintain your (4) 5000 btu. If you can you might want to up it to the next size. This will be good for you in two folds. 1] it will maintain what you want with no problem. 2] it will allow you to add on at a later date and time if you so choose to do so. If not you, then it'll be there when you sell this property. It will be an added selling point.

As per the water issue, if your plumber thinks it'll be fine I won't argue. I would however ask him about the demand. Since these boilers call for water at any time, it would be uneventful if you happen to be in the shower. Just a thought.
Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
Expert:  emianplumbing replied 3 years ago.
Dear Sir There is no difference in an electric, gas or oil boiler apart from the fuel source. You say your plumber is not sure about electric, well as long as he is competent with regards XXXXX XXXXX he will be fine in sizing for hot water and radiators. the only thing he wont be able to do is install the power supply.

Without full information regarding the property size, a calculation on the size of the boiler cannot be given. also please bear in mind that a hot water cylinder could at times be eating up to 3 kw of energy when cold.
Everything nowadays has to be signed and self certified. If its not done correctly now it could cost you a lot more later, so please do not guess use a proper calculator or at a minimum an online heat loss calculator.

I do not understand why you think water pressure is a factor in your system. The pump you will be installing is nothing to do with your water pressure, it is for circulating the boiler water around the radiators. your plumber I am sure would have explained this to you by now.

I have gate crashed this question so I have answered it in a way that does not require rating, if you require further assistance please do not hesistate in contacting Gary

Best regards

Brian