Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

have homark double oven. After replacing top oven element as

Customer Question

have homark double oven. After replacing top oven element as soon as I switch on it trips RCD. I have removed cables from element and tried switch this does not trip RCD. RCD is ok. Any Ideas
thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok just want to double check the element is wired up correctly?

The earth wire isn't pushed onto one of the tags is it?

Sounds like a stupid question but I have done this in the past myself.

Also was the old element tripping out or did it just not work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

old top oven element did not work because it had burnt out. the new element has four tags and an earth tag. old element did not have earth tag. New element earth tag not connected but I checked body work to make sure it was not live.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok that's fine just double checking as ive done it in the past myself.

As to the element tripping it will be a faulty element im afraid. We do get a lot of these doing this as they get moisture in the element while in storage and go down to earth.

There is a trick you can try if you are quite competent at electrics and now a bit what you can try is disconnect the earth on the cooker and run it for 20 mins and see if it drys it out.

But please only do this if you feel competent at it as the oven wont be earthed during this part.

Sometimes this drys it out and stops the tripping out.

Other then that if you can make a fly lead up out of an old mains cable connect the live and netural to the grill element one section at a time as if you look

the grill its in 2 sections the inner and outer.

Once connect run it like that for 20 mins and see if it drys the element out and stops the tripping.

But other then that you need to return the element and get another and fingers crossed that's ok.

As I said we get it a lot on elements its moisture that builds up during storage that causes this.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help it was excellent. Even though I had a new element everything pointed to the element again. Very frustrating really but I wanted to make sure I have not overlooked something simple. Will buy new element from another company. thanks again Daniel.

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries your very welcome.

If you haven't already if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Before buying another element, I did what you suggested today. That is I removed oven and disconnected earth wire at back of oven. Then ran the top oven elements individually at first 120 degrees/20 minutes. Then after cooling connected both elements and guess what NO BLOODY TRIPPING. Thank you so much Daniel I was just about giving up on the project and buying new cooker although I knew fundamentally there was nothing wrong with the Double Oven. Thanks again for your expertise.

and excellent advice and suggestions.

Anthony Phillips

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear it worked. It was just a bit of moisture in the element so now its dryed out that should be fine now.