Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Ryobi Combi hedge trimmer/ brush cutter/strimmer which

Customer Question

I have a Ryobi Combi hedge trimmer/ brush cutter/strimmer which will not run off choke.

I have purchased a new carb for it, but it will still not run off choke.

A new carb has be fitted , but it hasn't solved the problem.

I have checked the fuel mixture and it is correct at 50/1.

I have been told that the cause of the problem is leaking big end oil seals, is that possible?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi yes that is the likely cause of the problem. I would have said the carb needs rebuilding because usually that is the trouble, but with a new carb now and mixture set correctly, it is the oil seals.
I hope this helps?
I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you XXXXX
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Michael.

Can you please advise on where I can obtain new oil seals?

Ray B.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, Please try eReplacements.
toll free 866-802-6383
9:00AM-8:00PM Mon-Fri, ET
9:00AM-6:00PM Sat, ET

Let me know if they have the parts you need or if you need me further?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Michael,

I have dialed the phone number you gave me but, I'm told by the operator that the number is not recognised.

Is the number you gave me a UK number or is it an overseas phone number that requires a code?

My thanks in advance.

Ray B.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, the # is a USA #. You will need to ask the operator to connect you or how to call it from the UK. They don't list one for the UK but Im sure they have one for you. Once you have the part ordered, please let me know.
Thank you John.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

Which oil seals do you think might be faulty?

I'm of the opinion that it can't be the big end seals as I first suggested as there arn't any big end seals.

The only seals that I can think of that are likely to be at fault are the crankshaft seals or crankcase seals.

I've had no luck phoning that USA telephone number, so I am still at a loss as to a source of engine spares.

Regards.

Ray Bancroft.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,
Yes the crank case seals are what need to be replaced:-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

I have been in touch with a firm called CJ Sinclair Ltd regarding the problems I have with the Ryobi engine and as they are service agents for Ryobi I asked for their advice on the problem I have.

The advice I received was that the problem was unlikely to be a crankcase or crankshft seal failure but, a carburretor adjustment requirement.

To adjust the carburretor a special screw driver is required and have agreed to supply me with one.

If the carburretor adjustment proves to solve the problem with the engine it will mean that you gave me the wrong advice and I will be entitled to a refund.

I am expecting the special screwdrive to arrive in a day or so and I will inform you in due course if in fact the carburretor adjustment cures the problem.

Regards.

Ray Bancroft.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,
I assumed the carb was pre adjusted or that you made that adjustment. that is critical for the correct operation of the motor.
I will be here, please keep me informed on how that goes, but if the carb is out of adjustment that will cause problems most definitely.
Have a great weekend!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

I am very unhappy with your response and lack of advice to solve the problem with my Ryobi hedge strimmer. You never once gave me advice or suggested what the caurse of the problem was or how to resolve it, all you have done is agree with all my comments as to the cause of the problem without offering any solution.

Also, I am very dissatisfied with spending £22.00 for your assistance and receiving none and will not in the future be using 'Just answer.uk' for any future assistance for any problem solving I may need.

Ray Bancroft.