Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

The sound on my Samsung LE46M87BDX has suddenly started going

Customer Question

The sound on my Samsung LE46M87BDX has suddenly started going to zero. The sound bar on the screen comes up and goes to '0' for no apparent reason. I can sometimes use the remote to increase the sound but after a few minutes the problems re-occurs. Other times I have to leave it for some time to then increase the sound. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, sorry to hear that.
How old is your sound bar?
Does it do this immediately or after some use?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the tv is only about 2 years old. It does not do this

Immediately when switched on but after about 1/2 hr or so.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Gaye,
Thanks does the sound bar simply jump to zero, or can you see it slowly going down. Please explain that in detail.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, The sound bar appears on screen and then you can see it going slowly down to zero. Occasionally, I have been able to use the remote to get the sound to go up again if it hasn't gone down to zero yet but usually its already at zero by the time I have noticed. Sometimes I can then use the remote immediately to increase the sound but most of the time I have to leave it for a few minutes to be able to use the remote to increase the sound again.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that information.
This is a problem with an internal component inside the TV.
You can try one thing, as this could be the volume buttons on the TV itself.
They may be stuck or in need of replacement. It one small circuit board that contains them.
Please try this for me.
Unplug the set from power for 5 full minutes.
Next, press the up button repeatedly (the button on the TV) not the remote.
Then plug it back in and let me know if that fixed this. If it did please rate kindly, if not please let me know and don't rate yet.
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

I am at work at the moment so cannot act on your suggestion until tonight.

I will respond in the morning. Thank you

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
That will be fine:-)
But since its going to be that long to prevent the question from timing out or closing if you rate now I can lock it in so that cant happen. also there is no additional cost to rate :-)
Have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

Sorry that I have not contacted you earlier today but I have been in back to back meetings.

I did all you suggested last night and thought it had worked. However about an hour later the problem re-occurred. I tried the process again last night and again this morning but I'm afraid the problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi Gaye,
thank you for trying that.
Sometimes that will clear it.
You will need that part with the buttons replaced.
This is really best done by a local TV repair shop, but if you feel you can and want to take it apart, i will let you know where to order the part from.
No soldering involved so thats good lol.
Tech Michael