Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi,I have a Neff dishwasher S5444X1GB which stops after

Hi, I have a Neff dishwasher S5444X1GB which stops after filling (circulating pump does not start). Originally, the circulating pump was leaking, so I removed it, fitted new seals etc and refitted it. I was disappointed to find then that it did not start at all (although it seemed to be ok on the bench). I therefore assumed that the capacitor or motor had failed and bought a secondhand replacement. I have fitted this, but it does not work either. Is it possible that a filling level switch is faulty (the machine does stop filling after a few minutes), or a relay? How should I proceed?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer/ Pearl.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and we need information in order to be able to
help you solve your difficulties. The more information you give us the quicker we can help.
Its not the filling level switch at fault. Do you have a meter for testing?
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Yes, I have a meter.

Marcus

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Marcus, we will figure this out.
What I would do, is bench test the old motor, let me know if it runs.
Thats the first thing to do.
Then if it runs, the issue is the main control board that is bad, or you may have wired it incorrectly.
Let me know.
I will stick with you until this is fixed but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Marcus.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

Thanks for the positive response, before I rate you would you please confirm how I should test the old motor - when I put 240V across terminals 1 and 3 before, the motor did not start, but it did run when I gave it a spin (no impeller or other load on). Likewise terminals 1 and 2.

I have just tried the same again, with the impeller fitted (hence some resistance), and although it is trying, the motor does not run. Have I got the right terminals?

Marcus

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marcus,
are you speaking of the old motor?
Or the new one.
What happened when you bench tested the new motor?
Did it run straight away?
Tech Michael
You can rate as it wont cost you anything further and it will allow me to lock the question in so I can stick with you until we have this figured out.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

I have only tested the old motor. I was assured that the 'new' motor was fine and had been tested, so I have not done anything to that. I can test the new motor but I still need some guidance on how you would like it done.

Rgds

Marcus

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi Marcus,
What you can do, instead, is this.
Disconnect the new motors wires. Then while the Dishwasher is running ans supposed to be powering the pump, check the motor wires to see if it actually is supplying the motor with power. I think it isn't.
This is more than likely a bad main control board.
The relays on the board will fail over time.
But in any case, let me know if you get motor power from the wires while its running.
Please rate kindly s your question doesn't close out and I can stick with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Which wires should I test for power - there are 3?

Rgds

Marcus

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marcus, you need to test all three, two at a time to see if you ever get power on them, make sure you test with the meter set on AC volts.
Tech Michael
Please rate kindly at this point so I can remain with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

As soon as the dishwasher is turned on, there is power to the motor, between the brown lead and each of the other two. How do I test the motor?

Rgds

Marcus

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Hi Marcus, you would test it the same way you tested the old one on a bench.
You can try hooking the wires up in different configs until it runs, if your not sure how the old one was hooked up, tip...always write down wiring before disconnecting anything ;-)
Please rate kindly so we can remain talking.
Thank you Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.