Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi, I wonder if you can help. I have a Neff S51M53X0 which

Hi, I wonder if you can help. I have a Neff S51M53X0 which wont switch off. The cycle finished on a hot program and the LED shows the zero's as finished, but 2 secs later reverts to the time against any program I select from there on. I can force the 1 min to finish cycle but when that finishes it reverts to a program again. Powering off doesn't make any difference, nor can I get into the menu......any suggestions? Many thanks Steve
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
When you press the buttons on the control panel, do you get a definitive click from them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From the on/off switch yes.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, from your response I assume you have the later version of the machine with touch sensitive pads instead of buttons.

If this is the case, it would suggest a problem with the touch pad and/or control board.

How old is the appliance?

If it's over 2 years old and out of warranty try the following.
Unplug the appliance.
Take the décor door off.
Take the facia panel off and take the control board out.
Clean and dry everything you can.
Reassemble and try again.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the version with buttons, registered in December 09. I shall try your suggestion when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, if you have buttons, revert to my first post.
My last post was in response to thinking you only had 1 actual button.

Check the start button, do you get a definitive click from it (you may not hear a click but you should feel something).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Definitely get a click from that on/off button. All the other buttons seem to be functioning correctly too. It seems that a program is caught in a loop and wont reset for some reason.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Check the start button.
If that is stuck, you get the problem you describe.

If it feels ok, then you need to check the control board to see if the actual switch on it has failed.
If it has, you need a new control board.

It's nothing to do with the on/off switch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The button seems to function ok; what appears to be wrong is that when the program finishes and the LED are at zero, when you open the door, 2 secs later it reverts to a program time without touching any buttons. Is the control board in the door?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
I know what the fault is.
I've advised what the cause may be.
Once you've checked it, post again.
Yes, the control board is in the door, as I advised earlier.
You need to check the switch on the board, not clean and dry as it's not a touch pad machine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do. Thank you.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, no problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got the board out and all the switch functions seem ok. All have positive click when initiated. On/off switch is ok.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
As previously posted, the on/off switch has nothing to do with this problem.

As all the buttons appear to work it only leaves the main board itself as the cause of the problem.

Reassemble it, try it on a program, see if it works or not.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still doesn't want to come out of its loop. I am now going to upgrade and buy a new one. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for letting me know.

Just in case, you could try British Gas or Knowhow (Currys) for a fixed price repair.
Around £125 including all parts and labour.
1 year warranty on the repair and with British Gas, if it can't be fixed, there's no charge.

Might be worth checking, depending on the age of your old one.
See if they cover your area.

Good luck with the new appliance.

Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK