Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

My American style maytag fridge freezer has problems. The freezer

My American style maytag fridge freezer has problems. The freezer has stopped working and the ice maker no longer works
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi thank you for using just answer. About your freezer, could you provide me with the model number? As for the problem, it could mean anything, however I would like to help you narrow it down. Fist question I would like to ask is - when turned on, do you hear any noise? Any humming, clicking, rattling? I'm also going to switch this to Q&A so we would have more time to work with each other. Thanks Gary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Usual humming noise .where will I find model number . Red flashing h2o light on front
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maytag MSS 20 FSS13
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply back. The H2O light is stating that you have a water inlet problem. Either the line is kinked, or its plugged. Please check the water flow and make sure everything is ok. Please let me know what you find, and we can go from there.

Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Water appears to be getting through as normal , at least to water dispenser
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for getting back. As per your freezer problem, it could relate to the ice maker not working. Does your fridge cycle? As per the tempature can I assume it's not freezeing? I also need you to feel the compressor and tell me if it's really warm to the touch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean by does your fridge cycle . Temp says -18 on LED but it's not freezing food. Compressor feels warm to touch
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

To answer your question, cycleing means the fridge/freezer is turning itself off and on when needed. However you answered my question when you told me that the compressor is warm to the touch. So in short, this fridge is not cycleing. It is constantly running. The temp you see is the setting so it has nothing to do with how cold it is on the inside. All it's doing is calling for cooing and it's not getting it.

The problem with your unit is, it had developed a leak in the freon line somewhere. Since freon is a gas, you won't be able to see/find it. You would have to recharge this unit, and when doing so a service man can inject a dye into it to show where the leak is. It will take a black light to see it however and they normally would have on. This will also cause the code you are seeing because the ice maker knows that something is wrong, but don't know what. The h2o code is a kind of a catch all code relating the ice maker. On the possitive side, if the fridge side is holding it's own, then it's a good thing because there is enough gas to maintain but having the compressor running constantly isn't a good idea, because its the same one trying to cool your freezer. It just means that the leak is a very slow one. It would be best to unplug this unit and have it repaired. Now just because it's an americian brand doesn't mean it'll take any different freon either. Whatever they use in the U.K., is the same they use in the U.S.. I'm saying this because I heard of some service dealers say differently.

If you have any other questions, please ask. I wish you the best.
Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances