Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I have an Amana fridge freezer and the freezer stopped freezing

Customer Question

I have an Amana fridge freezer and the freezer stopped freezing and now after 1 day the fridge is not cooling the model is Gb2026pekw can you help.

Ray
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi Ray, I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time to work on this. When this fridge is runningou hear any kind of noise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the compressor seems to be running
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hey Ray,

Thanks for getting back. Can you put your hand on the compressor and see how warm it is? Also can you tell me if it's constantly running, or if it cycles ? Thanks

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seems to be constantly running and I can't get to the unit.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Again thank you. Since this unit is constantly running and not cycling or shutting off, then it's low on freon. In short, it had developed a leak somewhere in the lines usually caused by vibration, or getting moved without care. The real way to tell is to pull out the unit and feel the compressor. If it's hot, then there is no freon. The best thing to do is unplug it and let it sit until you can have a service man come and work on it. If you would just leave it going, then what will happen is you'll end up burning up the compressor, and those are very costly to replace. The service man can inject a dye into the system and under a black light, would be able to find the leak. Just remember that the leak can be very small, and hard to detect.

In short, if this fridge is worth the cost of repair, then by all means. If you happen to be on the fence about getting a new one, well this may be a good reason to get one. Cost is always a factor in any major appliance replacements, but if you have had great service from this fridge, it would be worth the cost to get it repaired. Just saying.

I wish you the best.

Gary