Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Our Bosch exxcel washing machine display comes on but there

Customer Question

Our Bosch exxcel washing machine display comes on but there is no text no matter where the control dial is set
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the E-Nr number of the appliance please?
It should be on a label in the door recess.

I take it the back light for the display comes on but no information on it.
Do any other lights or buttons work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The product number is WVD24520GB
Yes the back light comes on but no information is displayed. None of the buttons seem to work.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

The most likely cause of the problem is a failed control board.

However, just in case, unplug the appliance.
Take the top off.
Take the control board out of the facia panel.
Check it for dry joints on the solder side (or obvious damage) and check the plugs/wiring to it.
Unplug them, plug them back on.
Reassemble and try the machine again.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have removed the two screws at the back of the top and cannot see any more screws but it is not coming off. Please advise?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, you take the screws out, you push the lid rearward and you lift it off.

If you are having problems with the lid, I'm afraid it doesn't look good for getting the facia apart.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lid removed. How does the control panel come out?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, you have to figure it out.
You take the screws out (if any) and you unclip it.

If you can't do it, you can try unplugging any plugs you can and plugging them back on.

I can't give step by step instructions as not all of their machines are built in the same factory so have differences.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it the control module or the operating module that is likely to have gone?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
The checks you are doing should narrow it down.

However, without any checks, the most common cause is the control module.

Replacing that will cure the problem in 95% of cases.
Very seldom is it the operating module.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will need to purchase a star ended screwdriver to get out the recessed screws before I can complete the panel withdrawal but thanks for your help thus far.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
It's going to be Torx drivers or bits you need.

If it's the control board, I'd suggest checking the price, then calling Bosch, British Gas and/or Knowhow (Currys).
They all have repair plans that may work out cheaper than buying the part and fitting it yourself.

Good luck with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have taken a punt on a second hand panel and board from ebay for £30. If that fails I will try bosch. They are based nearby.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Good luck with it.
Hopefully it's an identical machine to yours, in every way.