Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have an SMV63M00GB which runs through cycle but does not

I have an SMV63M00GB which runs through cycle but does not Heat the water at all. I'm not sure if it is a faulty heat pump or something else
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Start a new program.
When it's washing, open the door and add a jug or two of water to bring the level of water up.

Close the door and let it continue washing.

Keep checking during the wash, does it now heat?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that once Im back in the house from shops. But as stated it does actually fill with water from mains but water remains cold.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

I know what you posted but I know that the machines can under fill and this doesn't allow it to heat.

Carry out the check I asked first, it doesn't involve having to take the machine apart.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX as requested.Cool

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem, let me know what you find.

How are your diy skills, if you need to start taking the machine apart to investigate further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My DIY Skills a very good. I have taken one apart already.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Excellent, see what happens with the added water test.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have added water to the dishwasher still no heat, however the cycle still runs

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

There's 2 possible causes now.
The main control board and the heater.

To narrow it down you would need to take the right side panel off so you can access the connectors to the heat pump.
Once you have access (machine unplugged of course) you would need to test the heater part of the pump to see if it's gone open circuit.

If it has, you need to replace the heat pump.
If it's ok, take the pcb out of it's plastic case and check for obvious damage.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I was thinking it may be - doesn't my model have a thermistor which may also be faulty and therefore not heating the water or is this all in the heat pump?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
I haven't had to replace a sensor for no heat (yet).
I've replaced numerous pumps, a few control boards and I've sorted out a lot of flowmeters.

It would need an extremely strange failure of the sensor to give no heat.

However, you can rule out the heat pump with the meter, you can also rule out the sensor using the meter (sensor is fitted inside the door).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another development - I have had the error code E:02 appear after I had run the cycle any ideas what this could mean?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

This is listed in the service manual as the following.

E02. Running without heating. Working relay of heating is defective.
Change power module.

I'd still test the heater too.
If you simply fit a new board and there's a fault with the heater, it could damage the new board.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Techdesk,

so I have taken of the right side panel and can see the heat pump with connectors. To test the heat pump am I to take apart only to test the heating element part of it or is it one unit to test? picture is added.

Bosch Heat Pump

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You only need to test across the contacts for the heating part of it.
If that's ok, then it's as the error code states,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Techdesk,

your service so far has been truly amazing and I think I am nearly there. I haven't tested the heating element as it quite tricky to get at. I have taken the PCB out of its plastic case and inspected it for any obvious signs of damage but can see anything like burns.

What I'd like to know is can the PCB board fail if there are no signs of damage and which one is the heating relay as they all look like 'hf3fd' with 85c on them?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes it can fail with no signs of damage.

I'm afraid there's no information on the component level.
The only way you'll identify the relay is to trace the wiring then the tracks from the connections on the board.

Sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am planning to purchase a new PCB Board for the machine, I haven't been able to test the Heat Pump because I can't see where the element part is. Do I have to take the Heat Pump apart or just test the contacts on the outside of the unit?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You just check from the contacts.

As the pump and the board are both around £100 each you are taking quite a gamble.

The code refers to the board.

For £125 you could have British Gas come in and repair the appliance.
(if they cover your area).
This includes all parts and labour, it also includes a 12 month warranty on the repair.

On DIY you have no warranty.

Knowhow (Currys) offer a similar service but you need to get a quote on their website.

Check it all out, see what you think.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh Man,

I am stumped. British Gas have stopped fixed price repairs and Knowhow say they don't repair BoschFrown. So I am back to square 1. I am going to make one last attempt to get at and test the heat pump. Is this by measuring the continuity across all contacts?

Then make my decision - what do you think?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Wow, it's still advertised on their website. (British Gas).

There is another company that advertises fixed price repairs, www.repaircare.co.uk

Might be worth a check there.

On the heat pump, you'll have 2 wires for the heater on the front and the rest for the motor.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sudden thought, give Bosch a call, I'm sure they do some repair deals too.
No idea of the costs but it's worth contacting them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay,

I have now tested the heat pump. There are seven actual connectors on the heat pump from left to right numbered 1-7. I starting testing by putting connector 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, all the way till connector 7, no continuity.

The only continuity I managed to get a buzz/reading was connectors 4-5, 4-6, 5-6. What my meter read was 10Ω, 20Ω and 10Ω on connectors 4-5, 4-6, 5-6 respectively.

Note my picture is upside down so number 1 is the connector to furthest right

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am in the middle of repairing
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
why did you relist the question?
I'm not online 24/7 and I don't know when you are going to post another question on top of the many I've already answered for you.

The answers to your problem are already in the previous posts.
You have to work out if it's heat pump, the control board or both.

Your machine reports a faulty board.
Test your pump and see if it's faulty. From the figures you've posted, it's faulty too.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
OK, Just had a look at the test points. with the motor on the right of the unit, pin 1 is on the right.

The heater uses pins 2, 3 and 4.
2 to 3 = 10.5 ohms
3 to 4 = 10.5 ohms
2 to 4 = 21 ohms

Test these, it will tell if the heater is open circuit on any part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think were on the right track care based on the readings you I have both posted

Just to clarify the side with the motor is the side with Grey Part where the coils are attached in my picture. Pin 1 -7 would be right to left?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya
Bit difficult to answer that as your picture is upside down.

As it is, the picture shows the motor on the left with pin 1 on the left.
If you rotate the picture so it's not upside down, the motor would be on the right and pin 1 on the right.

Hope that makes sense.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have decided to let Bosch repair and protect. I really appreciate your help. I want to know close this.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem, good luck with the repair.