Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

the caravan fridge flashes on mains and shows fault 8 on the

Customer Question

the caravan fridge flashes on mains and shows fault 8 on the screen. Works on gas.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer.

Gary :

Per your problem, please try this ... switching off and on again If that doesn't clear fault 8 (ac volts 20% lower than spec) you may need to replace the board for one with a resetting fuse.

Gary :

If you have any other questions, please ask. I wish you the best

JACUSTOMER-md4k8e1a- :

unable to understand. Which board and resetting fuse please? House appliances are working therefore why 20% lower than spec?

Gary :

Hi, The code that you are saying refers to low voltage. Sometimes by truning off the unit and waiting for about a minute and then turning it back on will fix/clear this code.

Gary :

You may also want to check the connections to make sure they are not corroded as well. If you find out that this board has gone bad, when you replace it, you want to get one that has a built in reset fuse/breaker in it. This is will help prevent this code from coming up again. But, there are some steps you can take before I would tell you to go out and get a new replacement board. So for the later part of your question, I'm unable to answer that. With this type of unit, this is one of those quirks that when made, it came with it.

JACUSTOMER-md4k8e1a- :

Thank you for your suggestions, however they did not work. I could see from the handbook that the problem was to do with the power, but as the house supply is not faulty, and the caravan is less than two years old, I shall have to contact my caravan dealer and use gas until then. I regret than nothing else can be done.

Gary :

Hi ... before you give up, lets try this ... The problem could be the thermistor. From inside of the fridge remove the thermistor from the fins and unplug the wires. With a multi-meter set it on Ohms, touch the wires with the probes/ does not matter which probe to wire/ hold the bulb end of the thermistor between your fingers, your reading should read at about 7000 Ohms. Stick the bulb end of the thermistor in a glass of ice water, reading should start climbing and go to about 22000 Ohms. If this happens the thermistor is good and you need to look elsewhere. If it does not test out you need to replace the thermistor. The thermistor is a thermostat that controls the heat source that makes the fridge cool. If the thermistor reads good then there is likely a PCB issue.

Gary :

I see you have already rated me poor service. I'm sorry to see that because I told you there was more we could do here. However try what I suggested and go from there. Like I said, these fridges are born with this type of headache. If you want to proceed please let me know.