Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I am staying in an apartment with a Miele KM 6312/6317 cooktop.

I am staying in an apartment with a Miele KM 6312/6317 cooktop. This morning I had some water in a pan that was boiling ( controlled- no spillage ) and the power supply tripped, both the main switch and the cooktop switch. I reset these and a warning FE31 came up on the top. Reading the manual I saw that I should leave the power off for one minute so I did so, both at the fuse board and at the cooktop power switch. Every time I switch the cooktop back on though the warning still illuminates even though it seems the cooktop is working ( I haven't tried cooking but the individual hobs appear to taker instruction. I'm reporting this to the property management company but I wonder if there is a quick fix that we don't know about??
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi, and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

Your FE31 error refers to an electrical problem. What you are experiencing is a common problem with these hobs when the power trips out. You need to look at the breakers again. Not knowing if this is wires in single or three phase, there is a good chance that not all of the breakers reset themselves correctly. This also could mean that the reason this tripped was because there could be a corrosion build up or a loose wire either at the panel box, or where it ties in to the hob its self. Either way, the hob isn't reading the correct voltage it needs. You can try and turn the breakers off, and reset them. Outside of that, you'll need to let the property management handle this problem. I wish you the best.

Customer:

Thank you Gary

Customer:

I've passed on your suggestion to the property managers and will rate your suggestion once we get advice on site. I much appreciate your help in the meantime, it makes sense but I am not qualified to properly pass judgement.

Customer:

Thank you Gary. It seems that two of the hot plates are faulty. I now have to wait a week for Miele to come out and service the cooktop. However, in the meantime two of the rings still work.