Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I have a ka58na40gb fridge freezer. The display is showing

Customer Question

I have a ka58na40gb fridge freezer. The display is showing the correct temp but both fridge and freezer are too warm. freezer -10 and fridge 8.freezer shows -22 fridge 3.
thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just answer. I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we could have more time to work with your problem. First of all, please don't open your fridge/freezer no more than necessary. Whatever the problem is, I believe you caught the early stages of it and we need to keep things cool at this point.

Gary :

Now, can you tell me if you can hear your fridge/freezer running? If so, is it cycling? Does it run at all? If it does, any new noises?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it iscylcling and the motor is on. the freezer is cycling between -8 and -13 degrees
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back. So your fridge is turning it's self on and off correct? Can you tell me or do you notice if the cycling is taking longer to complete?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now I have not openend the freezer for an hour the temp has vaied beteen -13.6 and -15 but the motor has not stopped
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for repling back. I need you to do me one more thing ... can you move the thermostate up and tell me if the compressor stops
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thermostat moved to -16 motor stays on
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Thank you once again. The problem you are experiencing is low freon. Some where in the system you have a very small leak. Now this leak could have occurred a while ago, but you just noticed it now. It's a good catch on your part.

There is just enough freon left in the system just to keep things cool, however the compressor will continue to run constantly until you set the thermostats to the level it can manage. - 16 isn't the magic number but if you would set it to -12/13 it might do the trick. In the mean time the less you open your fridge the better you are. This will save what you have in the fridge/freezer. Tomorrow you will need to call a service man out to deal with the problem unless this is the excuse you need to get a new fridge. The service guy will inject a dye into the system that can be seen with a black light. From there he can repair it and recharge the system.

Just remember the longer the compressor runs, the harder it works and in short you are taking the life right out of it. If you have any other questions please ask. I wish you the best.