Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

How can I get the ice-maker plumbing in my American style LG

How can I get the ice-maker plumbing in my American style LG fridge-freezer cleaned or replaced? Location: London
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

I'm going to switch this to Q&A so we can have more time to work on your problem. First of all I need the model number of your fridge ... secondly, can you tell me what it is or isn't doing so I can assist you better. Thank you Gary

Customer:

Make: Appliance Make: LG

Appliance Type: Appliance Type: Fridge/Freezer

Model Number: Model of Appliance: GR-L207DUZA

It all works, but we had it in storage for a few months and now the water tube leading to the ice-tray has fungus and the water tastes bad. Filter has been replaced. It just needs sanitizing or ideally replace the entire water tubing.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I have looked real close at your fridge pertaining to your problem. So I do apologies for taking me a little longer. Since this appliance was stored without being treated and drained, basically this system has now been contaminated. You are better off, replacing the entire system because in cleaning it, you will not be able to get to all the spots where bacteria likes to grow.

Even if you would use a diluted bleach cleaning, it will not remove all of the mold from inside this ice unit. Secondly, the remaining mold that is in there will either break off at some point and get mixed into the ice, or it will set as a base for new mold to start growing again. On top of that, you will never get the taste out of the system. Either way it will create a health problem you don't want.

As for retaining parts, you can get them at any appliance dealer that sells LG products. There are a number of on line appliance part disturbers that can assist you and also sell these parts you need at a cheaper cost. Once you have replaced the entire water system you will have better tasting results. When it comes to storing again it is better that you disassemble the ice maker and drain the entire unit. If you like, you can go to you tube and there are a number of helpful videos to view. If you need additional help, please let me know and I can work with you. I wish you the best.

Gary

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks for your answer... and after I replace the unit... what routine maintenance should I do? I do not expect to ever leave it un-used again.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

If you go to lg.com and click on their product support, you can download a manual for your unit. In the manual, it will tell you the specifics on the care and cleaning. If you just follow that, you will not have a problem.

Also, if you don't have one, I suggest you install an "in-line" water filter. This will remove debre from the main waterlines, and other micro's. This will also help save your ice maker from dying to soon, plus it will make your water and ice taste better. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but don't go cheap either. Make it practical. When installing, put it in an area where you have access to it. I would look for a clear bowl type filter so you can see the things you are taking out of your water. I wish you the best.

Gary

Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances