Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hoover dyn8441d washing machine - no display (one flash at

Customer Question

Hoover dyn8441d washing machine - no display (one flash at beginning then blank)

Put the washer on delay start for an hour, before the hour was up the display disappeared. Door locks, cycle will start but you can't tell what it is.

Just fills with water, no spin

Ignore next part about leaking filter - it must've been threaded every time - finally in straight with no leak. Just no display and filling but no washing problem to answer please. Ta
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

I'm going to switch this to Q&A so it can give us more time to work on your problem. Outside of not having a display show where the machine is at in the cycle, does everything else work? Does this machine run through the entire cycle?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Sorry I was waiting for an email. it doesn't run through the cycle it just fills and fills and fills! I stopped it and emptied it when it was 3/4 full of water. I turned the dial to spin and to empty but it just continued to fill so I abandoned trying to see how much of a cycle it would do.

So, no display, just fills with water and the dial doesn't correspond to any particular cycle any more.

Any ideas? An expensive fix or should I just get a new one? Can't do electronics myself unfortunately.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Well before we scrap the machine, lets see what we can find out here. You mention that the machine fills, and then the display board goes dark on one side. What your machine is doing is reading a fault. What I would like for you to do is from the start, count the number of flashes between the pauses. This is the error code. It may take some cycling, but this code will continue to repeat it's self. Once we have that error code, we can go on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Flashes once before it goes blank
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. By chance, does the door lock activate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Please bear with me as I ask these questions. What is the water level setting on? What I would like you to do is reset it to small, and then start your machine again. What I want to know if and what we are checking is the load sensor. Each setting determines the amount of water that goes into the wash basket. So on a small load you should receive no more than 1/3 and no less than 1/4 basket full. Please try this and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do of course - how do I find out what the water level setting is set to?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
This is an automatic setting that is build into the "setting" control you would use depending on the amount of laundry you are washing. You should be able to set this machine on a "small" load setting and let it fill. Just watch as it fills and see if it will stop by it's self.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Earlier I set it on a 59 minute wash ( the loads are marked in minutes not weights or sizes but I know you should only put 3 kg ish into this 59 min setting) and the water was over half the drum full before I switched it off and drained it. Hope this helps, certainly more water than I have ever seen on this setting before. Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patients. I know this can be frustrating however we know what the problem is.

Behind your control panel there is a pressure/level switch. You should see a rubber/plastic tube connected to it. What I would like for you to do is blow down into the tube hard until you hear air escaping on the other end. Afterwards refit the tube. (If you cannot get air to escape, then the tube is plugged)

Then turn the water level switch all the way around to reset and then back to low setting. (don't force the knob) It needs to be reset for this to work correctly. Set the machine to low water level and then start it up for testing.

If the machine does not cut off at the halfway mark and start washing, then there is 1] an air leak/kink in the tube 2] that switch is bad. As the water level rises in the tub, so does the pressure in the vacuum tube, until it is hard enough to activate the vacuum switch .. via the tube. The water level is governed and without air pressure the machine will not proceed to the next function because it thinks there is not enough water.
Gary, Handyman
Experience: 25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your help. It didn't work but I think the problems run deeper! It starts without the start button being pressed and there is still no display so I can't see what cycle it's running. I keep having to empty it via the the emptying tube and my potty training toddler's clothes are starting to smell really bad!!

Really appreciate your time, great service.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for your frustrations ... I understand about the laundry build up. If you want to continue please let me know. Outside of trying what I mentioned above, the next thing to look at would be the control board. I wish you the best.