Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Fabric conditioner in middle compartment will not flush out

Customer Question

Fabric conditioner in middle compartment will not flush out even though it fills with water.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Take the drawer out of the machine.
Take the cover for the conditioner compartment off.

You should see a tube attached and another in the drawer.
Ensure both of these are completely clean and clear.

Refit the cover.
Hold the drawer over the sink and fill the compartment with water.
Does it now syphon out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, refit the drawer, try the machine again.
If all is well, it should now syphon the conditioner and water out at the end of the cycle.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand your response. The machine has always clean and clear.Nothing has changed.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Sorry?
You said Yes after I'd asked you to take the drawer out, take it apart and clear the syphon tubes.

Are you now saying you didn't do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO. I did do that and it was OK. I am now testing the cycle ,approx 20 minutes, and will advise result upon completion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Test unsuccessful. Nothing has changed. Conditioner still in compartment c/w circa 1 inch of water.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, that's very strange, the conditioner went and water was left?

If you didn't have conditioner in then I'd suggest it's not getting enough water to start the syphon working.

Fill the drawer to just below the level mark (water or conditioner).
Try again on a rinse.
At the end, is it empty?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please read my response carefully. I said that the conditioner was,repeat was, in the compartment with circa 1 inch of water which is exactly where we started!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
OK, I missed the conditioner part. I'm sorry.

The fault is the dispenser top is blocked or the inlet valves are working properly.

If you only got a little water in there, the water is unable to reach the conditioner compartment.

Take the drawer out.
Look in and up.
You'll see the holes that bring water to the compartment.
Get a length of garden tying wire, poke it into the holes and along the waterways as far as possible.

Then, try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you talking about large irregular shaped holes or the multitude of small round holes?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
I'm talking about the holes that are directly above where the conditioner compartment is.
They may be round, they be oval or they can be rectangular, depending on the dispenser fitted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You state the fault is either a blockage or "the inlet valves are working properly".Do you mean NOT working properly? Where are these "inlet valves" and how does one access them?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
OK, the spell checker on here has changed it from aren't to are

Have you cleared the dispenser top and tested to see if it works?
If not, you need to do that.

You take the top off of the machine to access the inlet valves and you need to have, and be able to use, a multimeter to test them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to the best of my ability.Is this part removable if the lid is taken off? A better job of cleaning could then be undertaken.Please advise details for testing the inlet valves.I have repeated the test and am still at square one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS.I HAVE A MULTIMETER.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
To test the inlet valves, take the wiring off of them.
Use the meter to test to see if they are open circuit.

Yes, the top does come off of the dispenser, it's clipped onto the dispenser body.
However, it's not simple to get out and you would need to dismantle the machine somewhat to get it out.

For both, unplug the appliance and take the top off.
Both items are accessible from the top.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have removed top of machine today and checked no blockages by removing 3 hoses and blowing down them.On pouring water down these hoses ,one at a time,none appears to connect directly with central (conditioner)compartment!How is the water directed to this compartment? As previously mentioned there is water in the compartment during normal running of the machine but it fails,insufficient pressure?,to dissolve and wash out the conditioner.We have found that by thinning out the conditioner with water prior to putting in the machine it is removed completely.This is what we intend to do in future. Thanks very much for your help.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Blowing down the tubes and pouring water down won't make water come out in the centre or clear it.

Two valves open at the same time and as they meet in the dispenser top, water is forced into the correct channel.

The cure is to make sure both valves open and that the dispenser top is clean and clear. The dispenser top can only be thoroughly cleaned by taking it apart.