Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

washing machine trips electrics when another appliance is turned

washing machine trips electrics when another appliance is turned on
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using just answer

Gary :

Can you tell me if this problem has just started?

Customer:

Hi Gary,

Customer:

No this problem started a week ago. We thought it was the element and changed it, but now we have realised that when the washing machine is on by itself, everything is ok. However, if we for instance turn on the kettle, then it trips the electrics.

Gary :

Oh I see ... Had you recently had remodeling done where you added some more outlets/lighting done? Anything like that?

Customer:

No, we have not. We have not long moved in, but not to my knowledge.

Gary :

Ok, I'm just trying to eliminate a few things here that people don't think of. How old is your machine?

Customer:

About 5 years old.

Gary :

And how big is the breaker are you tripping out?

Customer:

I'm not sure exactly, but it probably carries about 7 switches?!!?

Gary :

Prior to that everything worked correct?

Customer:

Yes, all fine. I wondered about the washing machine sensor, as it has a sensor attached to the element, could that have anything to do with it?

Gary :

No, your problem is the cause of two things. 1) would be your breaker. For some time it has been running on max capacity of the load it has been design to carry. Now, it's too week for it to do it's job. 2) as your machine gets older, the electric motor will require more power for it to complete it's job. Thus drawing more energy from it's power source. It could be that in combination of age and that it is plugged into a power supply that not design to take the load anymore. Your machine takes 13 amps minimum. Thus is why it should be on it's own 20 amp breaker. If you can, you need to put your wash appliance on it's own system.

Gary :

I would also recommend that you change out the breakers.

Customer:

Brilliant - Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try this.