Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

hi< ive got an electrolux medium sized chest freezer ECM 1957,

Customer Question

hi< ive got an electrolux medium sized chest freezer ECM 1957, product no. XXXXXXXXX given to us from over the road. was working perfectly yesterday morning she defrosted it and we fetched it home. left it over night and plugged it in this morning. on the control panel is 3 controls.... temp no.s 1-4, quick freeze button and beep-off button last of all a LCD temp screen. since plugging it in freezer has beeped every 10 or 15seconds and will not get colder, the motor starts whirring but as soon as the beep comes again all motors stop and the little red an XXXXX XXXXXghts above the quick-freeze and beep-off button flash. on the lcd screen no temperature shows just 2 dashes. is the control panel broken? has it not stood and settled long enough? is it terminally ill? it was working fine before we moved it and it hasnt been tipped?banged or dropped?????
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
It sounds like the compressor has jammed or the system has blocked.

When you plug it in, the compressor runs, then it stops, does it get hot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it doesnt get chance to get hot as max it runs is 15 seconds until the beep and lights flash again. through the vent at the left bottom of freezer i can feel a very slight draft but no heat

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Does it not keep trying to start up at regular intervals?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it does but stops the minute the beep and light flashes, lcd screen doesnt change at all and beep continues until i unplug it again no decrease in temperature at all!!!!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, for an error code your display should show + or -36 and flash lights.

There's no code corresponds to the 2 dashes (shows when you first plug in) and flashing lights.

I'll opt out of the question and open it to all again.
See if anyone has come across this.

Sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the manual says about the error code and the flashing lights< i dont have the plus or minus 36 showing up like the manual says which is why i asked for your help..... i knew that answer already and didnt really want to spend £22 being told it again!

husbands just managed to get the display to show -18(by pressing quick-freeze and beep-off buttons together) "20" and "1a" showed by pressing the beep-off button and then it went straight back to beeping again!!!! does that mean anything??? aaaagggh so frustrating!!!!!

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry about your frustrations. I can understand totally. I had review your conversation and I want to ask you one question ... after transporting, did you set this freezer where you wanted it? also how long had it sat before you plugged it in again?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I left to soon here ... in thinking about your problem, I believe it could be the "overload cut-out starting device" You might want to check that out and see if it's plugged in correctly, not corroded. It could be that this piece was on it's last leg, and when you moved it and plugged it back in, it was the straw that broke the camels back. I don't know how handy you are, but if you could let me know I can help you varify if this part is good or not.