Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Rangemaster Fridge freeze American style the fridge door doesnt

Customer Question

Rangemaster Fridge freeze American style the fridge door doesn't keep shut suddenly over the last week prior to this we have had the appliance for a few years and it has worked perfectly. the appliance hasn't been moved or bashed please can you give an indication of what the problem mite be?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer

Gary :

A couple of things I would look at would be 1) the hinges - making sure they are not loose or overly worn. There are plastic bushings that sit between the hing and the metal part of the door. 2) close the door carefully as you get down to the level where you can watch the door connect to the fridge. See if it's connecting to it straight. Make sure the top or bottom isn't connecting first. We want the door to be straight with the body of the fridge. 3) double check that there isn't anything or any drawer open or sticking beyond the shelves. (common scene but you be surprise) 4) look at the seal, especially at the bottom of the door. they have a tendency to fold under and not make a seal after a few years. This will cause the door to "pop" open. Again look at all of these and let me know what you find out. If everything is ok, and it still does it get back to me and we can go on from there.

Gary :

I forgot to mention, when inspecting the seal, look at the hing side too because they will fold over at times.

JACUSTOMER-eavse83n- :

Hi Gary thank you for the advice.

JACUSTOMER-eavse83n- :

I have checked the hinges and all seems ok with the swing and if left the door swings to shut but it is not sealing. the rubber seal appears to be all ok (not swisted or broken). The door sometimes as you say pops to just open. the door appears to have a slight twist on it in that the top of the door closes first with the bottom being about 5 to 10mm away from closed. the hinges do not appear to be loose. nothing in the fridge is stopping the door shutting, I checked this first.

JACUSTOMER-eavse83n- :

any other advise to solve the problem?

Gary :

Hey ... check and see if your fridge is level ... compare that with the floor. the fridge should be level left to right and front to back. In case you need to make adjustments, here's a guide.

16
Levelling the Fridge-freezer and Adjusting the Doors

This appliance has front adjustable feet, which can be used to level the appliance. Insert a suitable flat screwdriver into the slots of the adjustable feet. Turn the screwdriver clockwise to raise the feet, and counter-clockwise to lower the feet
.
Leveling the Doors
.
To raise the left-hand door turn the left-hand foot clockwise until it is level. To raise the right-hand door, turn the right-hand foot clockwise until it is level..
Please let me know how this is, and we can go on.
JACUSTOMER-eavse83n- :

the fridge is level as it was set up about four years ago and has not been moved since except to change the filter on the water supply and then is is replaced to same position on a ceramic tiled floor so the floor cannot have changed levels.

Gary :

Thank you for your reply ... let me look into this a little bit more and I'll get back to you.

JACUSTOMER-eavse83n- :

any update?

Gary :

Hi, can you provide me with the model number of your fridge? thanks

Gary :

I'm going to switch this to Q&A however I would like for you to look at the bottom hings. In doing some research, other repair men have mentioned that the lower hings can break without looking like it. As strange as it seems, please try this ... Empty the door that likes to stay open (if they both do, look at the fridge first since it's the easiest) Remove the top cover of the hing off ... remove the bolts/screws and take that hing out ... lift the door off and check the bottom hing to see if it's loose or broken. Please let me know thanks

Gary :

There should be a spacer and a washer there ... if not then that would be your problem. If they are look for wear ... there should only be 2 pieces. 1 spacer-1 washer If nothing is there, broken, or has extreme wear you'll need to replace them. Please let me know what you found out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for the advice, unfortunately I am about to go away for a long weekend so I will not be able to check the hinge as you suggest until I return on the 11th. I will get it checked then and come back to you then if that is OK.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
That's fine, please let me know. Until then enjoy your trip.