adamd-mod
adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

My Whirpool american f/f model S20B RSB21-A/G has just started

Customer Question

My Whirpool american f/f model S20B RSB21-A/G has just started running the fan continuously.Would this be the circuit board at the rear playing up.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Which fan is running all the time?
The one at the rear by the compressor or the one inside the freezer compartment?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your responce .I have taken the back off and its not the one at the back at the bottom .The sound is coming from the freezer compartment.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You replied

04 June 2014 06:46EST

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The fan inside the freezer does run most of the time.
It blows cold air around the freezer to maintain an even temperature and it blows cold air into the fridge for cooling there.

Has the fan become noisy so you now notice it's running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Up untill two days ago the whole unit went quite with all fans and compressor stopping when the unit was down to the correct temparature.The last two days this fan inside the freezer unit has not stopped at all through day and night.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
For this fan to run all the time it would suggest that fridge or freezer isn't at the correct temperature.
The numbers on the front are what you are asking the machine to achieve, it may not be the actual temperature inside.

I'd suggest you also check to see if the compressor is running all the time.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just sitting in the kitchhen and guess what all gone quite unit has switched off.Dont know why it ran for so long.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Check for ice / frost on the lower rear wall of the freezer.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Checked for ice or frost all dry.All did go off but back on now the compressor came on first then the fans started.Checked temp in freezer says minus 16.2 deg in the fridge its 5 Deg

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, what is the display set for?

The compressor and fan at the rear run together when cooling is required.

The fan inside runs whenever either compartment needs cooling, so it does run more than the compressor and fan at the rear.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ive left the thermometer in freezer longer the temp is minus 18.The settings on the front say minus 18 fridge 5 so it seems to be working ok.Fan still running not gone off .

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, the fan is controlled by the main board, via temperature sensors.

There should be 2, 1 in each compartment and each one of them can bring the fan on.

Sorry, if the temperatures are even throughout the cabinet (-18 and +5) it suggests the sensors will need replacing.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.

Having said that, I've been checking my own machine and the freezer fan runs even when the compressor fan is off.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning I was away yesterday.

The temp in both fridge and freezer seems correct so I do not understand your comment below

I have just seen some frost on the ice box door and where is the stat situated in the freezer and fridge sections.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Not sure why you don't understand it.
If the machine is -18 at the bottom and -12 at the top, the temperature isn't even and the sensor won't detect that the machine is cold enough.

Frost on the ice box door is a sign that air is getting into the appliance.
This will give you uneven temperature and will cause the problem you have been describing.

It all depends on when your machine was made.
If it's not foamed in, around the middle of the machine there's a cover on the side wall over the sensor.

However, with the new information, it seems the sensor is fine, it's more likely a problem with the seal on the door or the plastic bearings for the door.

When you open the door, does it rise up a little as you open it and then drop down?
If not, then you could try replacing the plastic parts on the bottom hinge, see if this is the cause of the problem.

Is the door seal soft and supple giving a good seal?
If it's hard, you need it replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I mislead you.The temp is -18 in freezer and 5 in fridge.

The settings on the front say -18 freezer 5 for fridge.so thats ok.

The reason why air getting is freezer was because I had the lead to my thermometer going in and the door did not seal around .

I think its the rear circuit board at fault as since the fan has keep running I have not heard the relay at the rear clicking in and out as I have done for years .Does this seem a good conclusion.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I'm going to opt out of your question now.

We've gone full circle on your question and we are back to the original post where you want to replace the board.

I still don't think the board is at fault but, only you can decide what to actually do on the machine.

Good luck with it. I hope your guess turns out to be correct and that you don't spend a shed load of money on a part not required.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will not wait for any more information as I feel I have made the right call on this one.. Thanks for your time you tried your best.