Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Neff dishwasher S5453X1GB/56, FD8506, integrated, installed

Customer Question

Neff dishwasher S5453X1GB/56, FD8506, integrated, installed August 2005. Water was not draining away so I cleared blockage where drain meets trap under sink. Now all of the programmes run on way beyond their specified time (do not stop) and no hot water is present.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Put the machine on a wash.
While it's washing, open the door and add a jug or two of water to bring the water level up.

Close the door, let it continue.
Check during the wash cycle (not the rinses) and see if it's now heating.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Water did not enter on start-up. Four jugs water added after a time and wash appeared to start. No heat whatsoever after at least twenty minutes.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, water not entering is different to what you originally posted.

What exactly happened prior to you adding water?

Cancel the program, start a new one and let me know the exact sequence the machine goes through.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing happened prior to us adding water except a "droning" noise (no water inside).

Programme now cancelled but COLD water from jugs is still in the machine, i.e. it has not drained away. Do we start a new programme regardless as you have suggested? If so any particular one and how do we know the exact sequence the machine goes through (by sounds maybe?)?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Start a new program, first thing it should do is pump out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Started new programme, 35 deg C (should take 30 minutes according to instruction booklet). Did not pump out cold water but started to wash immediately. After 10 mins washing. After 20 mins washing. After 35 mins washing. After 45 minutes opened door, water still in machine, cold.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, you need to unplug the appliance.
If it's not taking in water then the test you are trying isn't valid.

Take the appliance out of it's location.
Take the left side panel off.

Look at the 2 tanks on the side of the machine.
Are they blocking up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Taking the appliance out of its location is not a job I will do myself. I have reset the machine by pressing buttons A & C and holding depressed for at least three seconds. The machine soon emptied and "bleeped" as it does at the end of a programme. Started the machine which almost immediately started to fill with water and then wash. Left running for over three hours but the machine continued to wash. After stopping machine found that water was cold and not drained away. Repeated reset to get rid of water.

Therefore we are still at square one. Water does not heat up and programme never stops. I would have thought that these facts would allow for a accurate diagnosis of the fault and hence what is necessary to rectify it.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
No, it won't give an accurate diagnosis.

3 possible causes.
2 of which need the machine taking out.
As you can't take it out, you'll need to get someone in to do the work for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are the three possible causes? Which one can be done with the machine in situ?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Will you be able to take the machine apart to carry out the in situ check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We appear to be going nowhere. I need to know what to do. I am an ex Chartered Mechanical Engineer. Please advise your full answer to my previous response.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, it's going nowhere because you said you won't take it out to repair.

I'll opt out of your question now as you aren't actually responding to my questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I confirm you have opted out. It is you that is not directly answering my questions.