Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

My boiler is fitted with an old SUNVIC thermostat 3AB4600 which

My boiler is fitted with an old SUNVIC thermostat 3AB4600 which has failed. Sunvic told me to contact DANFOSS who may have a replacement. They gave me a phone no XXXXXXXXXX which is in some way wrong. Can you tell me the right number or who to contact to find the right replacement?

I shall be most grateful

Dirck Gunning
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

***** ***** :

Do you have the full model details - and preferably the GC no. of the boiler so I can do some digging tor you?

Customer:

The boiler is a Concord C170 Series 3a. Gas group NG. Burner type Furigas.

Customer:

Injector Dia m.n. 3.6 Manifold MB 13.5 Pressure ins w.g. 5.4

Customer:

Heat output kwatts 48.4 (165,150)

Customer:

Heat Input kwatts 604 (1206,100)

***** ***** :

Is there a GC no. in the form of XX-XXX-XX

***** ***** :

This will uniquely identify the appliance

Customer:

Design Press bar 4.1 Test Press bar 8.2

Customer:

Serial no DH10608010

Customer:

This is all Greek to me, I hope you can make something of it!

***** ***** :

http://idealparts.com/parts-list/concord_c170_series_3a/E3

***** ***** :

Try your local Parts Center - the Nottingham one is 01159425650

Customer:

A friend has suggested it might be possible to replace the thermostat AND the "pocket" it fits into. I have to go shopping so I will be out for a couple of hours, although your researches will take some time, I am aware. Incidentally my phone no is(###) ###-####1146

***** ***** :

It will be an illegal modification as they do not make the parts any more, this is a combined thermostat and overheat thermostat that sit in the same pocket.

***** ***** :

Very much similar to the commercial Potterton boilers currently use

***** ***** :

You might want to try that route first

***** ***** :

Ideal, Potterton and Baxi are all the same group now

Customer:

So are you saying that Danfoss do not have a replacement thermostat?

***** ***** :

You will not be able to ask Danfoss as they make thermostats and the boiler manufacturers decide which ones go into which boilers

***** ***** :

The first call could be Potterton commercial and see what they currently have available that could fit

***** ***** :

You are looking for a combined thermostat/overheat thermostat with a single pocket

Customer:

Many thanks for your help. I will ring Potterton

***** ***** :

No problem

Customer:

Dear *****,

Customer:

I rated your service as "good" -the top one below excellent. I have now run into a problem: (1) I rang Ideal Boilers. I was not allowed to talk to their professionals, as I am not a professional. The helpline told me that they do not advise or recommend thermostats; they simply make the boilers and it is for the boiler engineer to decide what thermostat to attach. (2)Sunvic told me that Danfoss would probably have a twinstat to replace the Sunvic2AB4600. (3)My servicing engineers say the Sunvic stat no longer works and they cannot find a substitute (They would prefer me to spend £5000 on a new boiler) (4) So I have now enquired from Danfoss in Denmark if they make a replacement stat. So, as you can see, I am in a cleft stick; the thermostst maker says " check with the boiler maker", the boiler maker says "ask your servicer" and the servicer says he can't find a replacement, but hasn't, I suspect, looked too far! So it is left to me to try to find a way of saving £5000! I hope this makes sense