Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

machine programmer is stuck on drain/empty cycle - will not

Customer Question

machine programmer is stuck on drain/empty cycle - will not spin. tried to run a short wash cycle while empty- but just starts to drain although wash programme is indicated. Have checked filter - all clear. Machine is cleaned and descaled regularly. Is there any way programmer can be reset? or is it kaput? Machine is 6 years old and have never had any problems before.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the E-Nr number from the label in the door recess please?

Once I know this, I'll see if I'm able to help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

E-NR: WXLM 148AGB/17 FD 8604 700990

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Are you getting any flashing lights?
If yes, which ones?

How are your diy skills?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - when I try test wash cycle programmer just shows WASH but machine pump just starts drain cycle. DIY skills 0 have arthritis in my hands. But I could get my son to do whatever my be needed..

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK thanks for that.

Unplug the appliance.
Wait 10 minutes, plug it back in to see if the software resets.

If still the same, unplug again.
Take the rear panel off.
If there is water in the base activating the anti flood device, remove the water.
Once removed the anti flood device resets itself.
Run the machine and watch to see if it's leaking into the base.
If it is, you'll need to locate and cure the leak to rectify the problem.

If there's no water in the base and the anti flood device switch is ok, it suggests a control board failure.
Unplug the appliance again.
Take the top off.
Take the control board in the facia out.
Check it for damage.
(no damage doesn't mean it's ok though).

The most common cause of the problem you describe is a spillage into the base.
Once removed the machine works again.

Hope this helps
Let me know if you need more help.

Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wont be able to try this until my son comes tomorrow. If no joy- how will I be able to get back to you without paying another £22 ?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You have emails with links to your question.
Use them to return here.

Good luck with the repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You! You are a Star!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mr.Tech Expert- had a bit of trouble removing back of machine- required "star" screwdriver- never heard of that! But my son came up with one (he is a plumber)- you were right there was water in the bottom of the machine. Dried it out and programme started right away. However there does appear to be a slow leak from somewhere. Have checked inflow and outflow hoses, filter, drainage hose and door seal all seem to be in good order. Even de-sludged the waste pipework! Water seems to leak from under the front of the machine- but only when it is in spin cycle. Any ideas? I'm sure you have.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, you need to watch, with the rear panel off, and see if you can spot where the water is coming from.

The screws are Torx screws.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son has laid flat on the floor with a torch but cannot see where the water is seeping from (no drips). Am able to use the machine provided I dry it out after use- will I need to book an engineer to locate the leak and fix it ?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
I'm afraid so, if you can't see where it's coming from then you need someone to find it for you.

Check the door seal and see if there's a small hole in it.
Take the top off and watch what happens there.
Look down the rear of the tub, see if there's dirty water stain there (bearing seal failure).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. will try this as soon as I can get some help. Thank you for your help. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You're welcome.