Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Bosch Dishwasher SPS51225/13 will go as far as releasing the

Bosch Dishwasher SPS51225/13 will go as far as releasing the tablet but does not wash the dishes. Both pumps, heater and solenoid valves work. Control unit will work so far (clock motor warm and powered), then after a change in cycle the power to the clock motor stops and the motor goes cold. Turning the control knob further round, it indexes to the next cycle and the clock motor starts again, until the next event when the clock motor stops again. What is the likely cause?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
On the programmer is a stepper motor.
Is this being powered?

it really sounds like the stepper motor is failing or, the programmer is.

Check it out, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Stepper motor is powered, but looses power several times during the full cycle. There is no printed circuit board on this old model that is about 20 years old. I will check the programmer further.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If the stepper motor isn't being powered it points to a problem in the programmer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Again,

I managed to get the machine to fill with water once. Since then it will not fill. Filled with a watering can for testing. Circulation pump works ok. Waste pump does not seem to pump enough water out. How are these controlled? Note that this is a Bosch slimline dishwasher (about 450/500 mm wide).

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Everything is controlled from the mechanical programmer.

It really looks like you have a worn out programmer and/or stepper motor.

If the stepper motor runs it will turn the cams inside the timer properly.
If it doesn't and you click on, you actually miss out steps in the sequence that would be performed by the programmer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

The programmer unit is obsolete, so I removed it, and checked the continuity on each switch. The beep from the meter was crackly on one. I managed to remove the switch assemblies from the body and prize rogue switch open to reveal dark, burnt contacts. I cleaned the switch up and re-assembled everything. The machine passed test with no problems. Thanks for your assistance.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Nice one.

Glad you found the problem and got it going again.

Good luck with the appliance.