Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My fridge freezer is all frozen even on min. The fridge has

My fridge freezer is all frozen even on min. The fridge has ice on the back wall.
Please let me know if it is a simple thermostat replacement or I need a new appliance.
Reply to: *****@******.***
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the make and model number of the appliance please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not know it. It is a fridge freezer three years old A. Class/frost free split veg basket
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
There's a label inside the fridge.
It will have, at least, the model number on it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Serial num *********
Model CD A541FW1? I think can't read it well
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

It's a Beko appliance.

You would need to check whether your machine has a circuit board or a thermostat fitted.
At the back of the machine, at the top, there may be a circuit board there.

(it's inside a box)

If that is there, it's electronically controlled and will need new sensors and new main board.

If it's not there, then there should be a mechanical thermostat in the light housing.
(If you pull the thermostat knob off, a metal shaft and a nut on a threaded part normally indicates a thermostat).

Have a look and let me know which your machine has.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thermostat knob does not want to come off & I cannot move fridge because too heavy for me
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The knob will come off but you do need a good bit of strength to remove it, or you need to lever it off.

If we assume you have the later machine (the FW1 suggests you do) then it's an electronic fault and you'll need an engineer in to change the sensors and most likely the main control board.

Beko parts are not that expensive so you should be able to find a local repairer to do this for around £100 to £130.
It all depends on the repairers call out/labour charges.

Obviously, you'll need to decide if this is worthwhile or not.
It will depend on the age of the machine and what you can get a replacement for.

Bear in mind, any repair will only have a warranty on the repair, the rest of the parts on the machine will have no warranty.

If it turns out it's the older machine, the repair cost should be just under the £100 mark as it's a cheaper part.

As you are unable to move the machine I have assumed you would be unable to do the repairs yourself.

Basically, you're looking at spending £100 plus to get it working again, if it can be repaired. (if it's the older type, it may not be repairable and you'll still have the call out to pay for ).

Check British Gas, see if they cover your area for their fixed price repairs. For £125 it's repaired, parts and labour included. If it can't be repaired, there's no charge).

Get back to me if you need more help on this.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your information I will consider asking an expert locally. Is it better to replace appliance as it is 4 years old.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If it were my appliance, assuming I couldn't repair it myself, I'd probably go for a fixed price repair.
That way, if its found to be beyond repair, it's not costing me anything.
Whereas, if you go for the local repairer, they'll charge for coming out and telling you it can't be repaired.

It's a bit of a gamble, you pay a bit extra for the fixed price repair and get all your money back if it can't be repaired, or you hope that it can be repaired and pay if it can't.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/home-electrics/one-off-electrical-appliance-repairs.html

Given them a call and see if they cover your area.

Ultimately, it's your decision on who you get to do the work.

Good luck with it, whichever way you decide to go.

Hope this helps