Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I opened my dishwasher before it had finished its cycle by

I opened my dishwasher before it had finished its cycle by mistake. The dishes were clean and almost dry so I removed them. The water in the bottom of the machine didn't drain away. This morning I re-loaded the machine and tried to run it. It beeps when the door is shut to confirm the programme but then nothing happens. I've tried turning it off at the main to re-set the programmes, I've taken out the filter and any bits which are removable on the bottom and nothing is blocked. I don't know what else to try and the manual doesn't suggest anything. Please help. Thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the model number of the appliance please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DIF 04 - its a built in one

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.

Did you reset it before starting the new program?

If not, press and hold the on/off button until it emits 1 long beep.

Select a new program and try it again.

Let me know how it goes.

Sorry, I have to go out for a bit, I'll pick up again when I get back.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok I'll try that and if not, I'll email you again and we can work it out later. the kids have lost patience so we'll be going out anyway! enjoy J

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I'm holding down the on/off switch for ages but there's no long beep.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, me again. held down the button and eventually got the long beep and some flashing lights. switched it off then on again and chose a programme. closed door. it beeped like usual. and then nothing again.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

The beep signifies the machine has accepted the program.
Doing nothing and then not giving flashing lights would suggest a fault with the main control board.

If you leave it for 10 minutes after the beep, do you get flashing lights?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. yes we got the flashing lights

I wasn't sure what to do at that point so I turned it off and on again and then selected a programme. once the door was closed it did the beep to accept the programme and then nothing. Its almost like it thinks its done what it needs to but doesn't.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, the flashing lights are an error code.

Which lights were flashing?
Number the program lights with 1 on the left, which numbers flash?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the on/off, the eco and the programme next to it (ie the two programmes on the left) flash

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry - that would be numbers 1 and 2 - as well as the on/off

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, that's a time out draining.

Is the machine still full of water?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, you have a blocked pump, possibly a faulty one.

You'll need to manually remove all the water from inside the appliance.
Then, unplug it.

You will need to take it out of it's integrated position to access the pump.
Will you be able to do this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we'll have a go - can you send step by step guidelines? the manual doesn't cover it. thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, getting the machine out isn't covered as it all depends on how the kitchen fitter fitted it.

Once it's out, you need to put towels down behind it.
Disconnect the services (it should already be unplugged) and lay the machine onto it's back.

Take the panel on the base off, it's clipped in place.

You'll now have access to the drain pump.
Just follow the drain hose and you'll come to it.

Take the drain hose off.
Take the drain pump out.
Remove any debris (if there is any).
Refit the pump and the hose.
Refit the panel and stand the machine up.

Refit the services and plug it in.
Try the machine again.

If all is well and the debris has gone, it should be working again.

Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh is that all!

yikes!

that all sounds beyond our capability. The machine is only a year old so I think I'll call the people I bought it from and see if they can come out.

you've been great thanks for your help

Jess

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Hopefully it's just a blockage, if it's out of warranty.

good luck with the repair.

Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK